Bruce joins Wigan
STEVE Bruce has today been named as the new manager of Wigan who are also trying to recruit his assistant Eric Black.Latics' chairman Dave Whelan confirmed that Birmingham City would receive £3million in compensation.
STEVE Bruce has today been named as the new manager of Wigan who are also trying to recruit his assistant Eric Black.
Latics' chairman Dave Whelan confirmed that Birmingham City would receive £3million in compensation.
He said: “Steve will be a fantastic signing for Wigan athletic. He's one of the best young managers in the land, I'm delighted we've got him and he'll bring enthusiasm, knowledge and spirit to our team.'
"We have a good team now, we have some good players. We've had some bad luck with injuries and when Steve comes in he I know he will want a midfield player and maybe a striker - and I will be backing him exactly the same way I did with Paul Jewell.'
You may also want to watch:
Whelan confirmed he is hoping Black, Bruce's assistant who is in temporary charge at St Andrews while the club seek a new manager, will also move to the JJB Stadium.
Whelan explained: "I understand Birmingham have got a short-term problem in that there is uncertainty in terms of who is going to own the club - if people want to buy the club they should get on and do it.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 3 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 9 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
"But we would like Eric Black to come as our assistant manager, I am confident we will get him but I understand he has got to stay there for a week or a fortnight. But he will be coming to us.'
Bruce's previous stint with the Latics, at the end of the 2000-01 season, ended abruptly when he was lured to Crystal Palace.
Whelan added: "I was annoyed when he walked away but I didn't give him a contract and he came for the last six weeks of season.
"He did a super job and got an offer from Crystal Palace which he wanted to take. I was disappointed to lose him but I'm delighted he's come back to us.
"My message to the fans is 'support your team'. We need every bit of support we can get but we've got a brilliant manager now and together we have to make Wigan what it once was - a fighting team.
"Under Steve Bruce we know Wigan will be a fighting team.
"What he earns he deserves - he will keep us out of relegation problems and all the fans will be delighted we've got him.'