Bruce joins Wigan
STEVE Bruce has today been named as the new manager of Wigan who are also trying to recruit his assistant Eric Black.Latics' chairman Dave Whelan confirmed that Birmingham City would receive £3million in compensation.
STEVE Bruce has today been named as the new manager of Wigan who are also trying to recruit his assistant Eric Black.
Latics' chairman Dave Whelan confirmed that Birmingham City would receive £3million in compensation.
He said: “Steve will be a fantastic signing for Wigan athletic. He's one of the best young managers in the land, I'm delighted we've got him and he'll bring enthusiasm, knowledge and spirit to our team.'
"We have a good team now, we have some good players. We've had some bad luck with injuries and when Steve comes in he I know he will want a midfield player and maybe a striker - and I will be backing him exactly the same way I did with Paul Jewell.'
Whelan confirmed he is hoping Black, Bruce's assistant who is in temporary charge at St Andrews while the club seek a new manager, will also move to the JJB Stadium.
Whelan explained: "I understand Birmingham have got a short-term problem in that there is uncertainty in terms of who is going to own the club - if people want to buy the club they should get on and do it.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 5 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following MK Dons victory
- 9 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
"But we would like Eric Black to come as our assistant manager, I am confident we will get him but I understand he has got to stay there for a week or a fortnight. But he will be coming to us.'
Bruce's previous stint with the Latics, at the end of the 2000-01 season, ended abruptly when he was lured to Crystal Palace.
Whelan added: "I was annoyed when he walked away but I didn't give him a contract and he came for the last six weeks of season.
"He did a super job and got an offer from Crystal Palace which he wanted to take. I was disappointed to lose him but I'm delighted he's come back to us.
"My message to the fans is 'support your team'. We need every bit of support we can get but we've got a brilliant manager now and together we have to make Wigan what it once was - a fighting team.
"Under Steve Bruce we know Wigan will be a fighting team.
"What he earns he deserves - he will keep us out of relegation problems and all the fans will be delighted we've got him.'