Bruce: Aston Villa not interested in signing Ipswich Town’s David McGoldrick
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Talismanic striker David McGoldrick may be on his way out of the Portman Road door on transfer deadline day – but he won’t be going to Aston Villa.
Villa are one of a number of clubs who have been linked to the frontman, whom Town are apparently willing to let go in this window for £500,000.
Cardiff City are said to be leading the chase, with Fulham, Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday also in the hunt.
But Villa boss Steve Bruce told the Birmingham Mail that, though he is a fan of McGoldrick as a player, he doesn’t need him at Villa Park.
“I see him as a number 10 and we’ve got a few players in that position,” he told the Mail. “I like him but if we’re going to bring somebody in it will be a typical number nine.”
The frontman is without doubt one of the most skilled and creative players in Mick McCarthy’s squad, but has been battling injuries and inconsistency, and will be out of contract this summer.
Thus, Town must decide - do they sell him now, while they could still command a fee, or risk losing him for nothing in the summer?
- 1 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 4 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 5 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 6 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 9 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 10 County lines drug dealer, 20, jailed for 30 months