Burnley move for Santos
GEORGES Santos last night admitted he would be willing to talk to Burnley about the possibility of a move to Turf Moor.The EADT broke the news to Santos yesterday that the Clarets were interested in him and that Ipswich had given permission for the Lancashire side to talk to him.
GEORGES Santos last night admitted he would be willing to talk to Burnley about the possibility of a move to Turf Moor.
The EADT broke the news to Santos yesterday that the Clarets were interested in him and that Ipswich had given permission for the Lancashire side to talk to him.
The Frenchman had still not had any contact with any Burnley representatives but expects his agent to contact him today about the outline of the deal being offered.
This is the second time Blues boss Joe Royle has cleared the way for the big defender-cum-midfielder to leave Portman Road after giving Watford permission to talk to him last March.
You may also want to watch:
Santos never held talks with Hornets boss Ray Lewington, but admits this time it is different and that he would speak to Clarets manger Steve Cotterill when he returns from Denmark.
He said: “Things change all the time in football. I would be more than happy to stay at Ipswich and fight for my place but at the same time every player wants regular football.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
“I still think I can do that at Ipswich. Even after the Watford thing I was in the side and playing, so you never know.
“I have not spoken to anyone from Burnley yet and I'm waiting for my agent to contact me.
“I will see what they have to say and will keep an open mind.”
It would be the third time that Santos has linked up with John McGreal, who opted to join the Clarets during the summer when he was offered a three-year-contract while mulling over a one-year deal with Town.
Marseilles-born Santos is currently with his fifth English club after signing for Tranmere from Toulon in July 1998.
After spells with West Brom, Sheffield United and Grimsby, Santos linked up with McGreal for the second time when he joined Ipswich as a free agent last summer.
After starting the season in the holding role in midfield, Santos dropped into defence and played in all six of Town's league clean sheets, starting in five of them.
Santos missed last night's game with Aalborg due to a minor hip injury but would be fit for the trip to Oxford United on Tuesday - if he is still with Ipswich.
Royle was happy to let Santos talk to Burnley as he feels he has enough cover at the back.
He said: “We have Jason De Vos and Drissa Diallo and, of course, Richard Naylor. There is also Aidan Collins and Gerard Nash to come through so we are well covered in that position.”
Last night's match report
and squad numbers revealed - Page 63