Bury 1 Harleston 6

Premier ABury 1 Harleston 6Harleston travelled to local rivals Bury St Edmunds this weekend to try and maintain their lead at the top of the table.

Premier A

Bury 1 Harleston 6

Harleston travelled to local rivals Bury St Edmunds this weekend to try and maintain their lead at the top of the table.

Harleston started quickly and Bury soon found themselves pressed back into their own 'D'. Good running from Toby Tibbenham, Dave Francis and Tristan Baynes was creating chances for the team, but unfortunately none of the pressure could be converted into an early goal for the Magpies.

Harleston eventually found the break through they were looking for following a short corner which fell to Leigh Sitch at the top of the circle. His original shot was blocked, however, he put his body on the line following up with a powerful shot into the far left corner of the goal, leaving the goal keeper as nothing more than a spectator.

The young Bury keeper Portious was again impressive between the posts and the hosts gained in confidence, soon pushing their opponents back with some quality flowing hockey of their own.

Most Read

For the rest of the half Harleston struggled to maintain possession, inviting Bury to build the pressure on them. With five minutes to go Harleston conceded a goal following a short corner, which fell kindly to Bury's Wilson who fired past the stranded keeper.

With a couple of changes at half time, including Hipwell returning after being bandaged up due to him deflecting the ball into his own chin, Harleston came back fighting, scoring quickly through Hipwell who broke from midfield before finishing in style.

Harleston found themselves in control of the game and extended their lead through two team goals which were both finished by Toby Tibbenham to end his goal drought, much to the delight of his loyal supporter. The next goal came following a quick free hit taken by Tom Sumner at right back which was played down the line to Hipwell who found Tibbenham on the penalty spot. Tibbenham was fouled but the ball fell to Sam Moore who lifted the ball home into the far corner of the goal to open his first team account.

Harleston completed the rout on the stroke of full time. Following a short corner, Toby Tibbenham completed his hat trick waltzing through the two front runners to power the ball home from the penalty spot. Next week Harleston travel to Havering for what could prove to be a tricky fixture.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter