Canterbury do just enough to hold off Wolfpack in win

Cameron Ritchie made some key breaks for Bury in their defeat to Canterbury. Photo: SHAWN PEARCE PHO

Cameron Ritchie made some key breaks for Bury in their defeat to Canterbury. Photo: SHAWN PEARCE PHOTOGRAPHY - Credit: Archant

National League Two South Bury St Edmunds 14 Canterbury 20 The City side did just enough to hold off a pumped up Bury side to earn the spoils and keep their promotion campaign intact, writes Simon Lord.

With four former Wolfpack players in their ranks, the visitors were always going to be in for a feisty reception but despite Bury producing one of their best displays of the season, they held on for the victory.

After a scrappy start, Ollie Best opened Canterbury’s account with a penalty after Bury were adjudged to have come in the side of a ruck.

The lead was quickly cancelled out by Franco Catuogno, who landed a simple kick after pressure from the Bury set scrum earned the penalty, and put the home side ahead shortly afterwards at 6-3.

Then it was Canterbury’s turn to attack and they laid siege to the Bury line only to be met with outstanding defence. There is no doubt, a few weeks ago Bury would have crumbled, but they are a different outfit now.

You may also want to watch:

Having weathered the storm, Cam Ritchie escaped the clutches of the City men to race 40 metres towards the visitor’s line. The attack was stopped, but only at the expense of a penalty and Catuogno made no mistake, 9-3 to Bury.

The Pilgrims did manage to get on top towards the end of a half and after a series of plays following a penalty, full-back Aiden Moss ghosted over on the cusp of half-time. Best’s fine conversion made it 10–9 Canterbury at the interval.

Most Read

The restart did not go to plan for Bury. Ollie Watson completely mis timed his challenge for the ball in the air, injuring himself in the process. He was also fortunate to only be shown a yellow card for taking out his opposite number in the collision.

Not long later Canterbury declined an easy kick at goal after Bury once again were deemed guilty of coming in the side. This time they kicked to the corner and after a series of drives, prop forward Kenny was driven over. Best defied the swirling wind to convert from the sidelines to push the visitors out to 17–9.

Back came Bury, and old Wolfpack favourite Sean Stapleton was shown a yellow card for a cynical challenge. And Bury made the extra man count, Pat Robinson crossing to reduce the arrears to 17-14.

But Bury couldn’t get closer, and Best added a penalty to seal the win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus