Bury Foxes win league title and promotion
- Credit: Archant
Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club ladies team, the Foxes, have won the Women’s National Challenge East 2 league after an almost unbeaten season, winning their last 11 games in a row.
The team has surpassed all expectations with an impressive run of confident performances this season.
The ladies secured promotion with a 22-5 win over Peterborough Ladies at the Greene King IPA Haberden in front of a large crowd of club supporters last weekend.
Sponsored by VW Bury St Edmunds, the Foxes squad has grown in number to its current level of 26. Amongst them nine players currently represent Eastern Counties and one, Steph Hanratty, the England Rugby Ladies Deaf Team.
Speaking after the win, Foxes’ captain Natalie Palmer said, “This season has been tough, despite winning 11 consecutive games. “We have had to work hard to get the wins. I cannot be more proud of my girls and what they have achieved. Every match they have shown their passion for the sport and have put everything into the games played.
You may also want to watch:
“I could not have asked for any more from them. This by far is the biggest achievement I have had and it’s a feeling I will never forget.”
On behalf of the club, chairman Michael Robinson said: “Huge congratulations go to Natalie, the whole Foxes squad, and to coach Charl Farquar for what the Foxes have achieved in such a short space of time.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 9 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
“To go almost unbeaten for a whole season is an outstanding achievement in any sport at any level, they have consistently performed well as a team and have improved so much in such a short space of time. The whole club is very proud of the team and their achievement.”
Gary Halestrap, brand manager at Bury St Edmunds Volkswagen and ladies rugby sponsor, said: “From a fledgling team just three years ago, the Foxes have developed a talented and dedicated ladies rugby squad and we are delighted to share in their journey to success as Official Ladies Team Sponsor.”
The Foxes will be playing in National Challenge South East 1 league from September 2017. Any ladies interested in joining the squad should visit the website www.bserufc.co.uk