Bury overcome tough Colchester team

LONDON 1 NORTH: Bury 36 Colchester 18

BURY played Colchester at home with both unbeaten sides vying to see who would maintain their clean record.

In a very creditable performance against a determined Bury side, Colchester notched up two tries to Bury’s five thus keeping Bury top of the league.

James Crozier, at full-back led Colchester’s rearranged team as skipper Calum Irvine was still injured, as were Nick and Joe Flexman, Brett Cutbush, Adam Cook and Matt Adamson.

The men in black added Tiko Tomani and new centre Tom Greene to their squad with Liam Pickett returning from the second XV and Chris Withers standing in again at scrum half.

You may also want to watch:

Bury kicked off and were given a penalty by referee Matt Taylor five minutes into the game which their fly-half Will Martin converted.

After this there was a 20-minute period in which both teams were testing one another. The fly-halfs Martin and Higgins both put in good field kicks as the game ebbed and flowed

Most Read

Bury were awarded a second penalty for obstruction but Martin’s kick went wide of the posts. Shortly afterwards the home side attacked down the right and flanker Rob Blatch scored under the posts, Martin converted.

Later, following a high tackle on Colchester prop Joe McMillan, Crozier was successful with the awarded penalty putting the visitors on the scoreboard.

Bury quickly replied after the restart and pounced on a half back mistake to run through, offloading to Martin who scored a try which he then converted.

Set-pieces were being evenly contested and both sides’ defence were firm around the fringes.

Colchester’s man-of-the-match James Mitchell worked hard in the scrums and the loose, often rampaging through the Bury defence.

The visitors’ back row of Ollie Pickett, Martin Browne and Dan Whiteman worked tirelessly to contain the Bury threat. The teams turned around with the score at 17-3.

Bury started the second half well when they pounced on a fumble by Colchester and ran in from half way to score a converted try.

Not to be outdone, Colchester attacked from the restart and centre Jono Crisp charged down a defender’s kick and scored a good opportunist try which went unconverted.

Shortly after this, a Bury player was penalised for offside and Crozier made sure of the kick bringing the score closer at 24-11.

Bury came back and scored through flanker Ben Radmell an unconverted try in the corner and then added to that a well taken try after a fine solo run by Martin increasing their score to 36-11.

An incident followed near the clubhouse and Bury fullback Brenton Krammer was yellow-carded and left the pitch.

Then Colchester rallied and, following a quick tap by Dave Philp, lock Ollie White crossed the Bury line to score a converted try under the posts.

With the clock running down both sides kept up the intensity of this thrilling match but there were no further scores and Bury claimed a victory at the final whistle.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter