Bury Rugby Club to host ULR Rugby Sevens Tournament on May 6
BURY St Edmunds Rugby Club is to host one of the most prestigious rugby Sevens tournaments in the UK this May.
The annual ULR Rugby Sevens Tournament, which this year will take place on Sunday 6 May, has been selected by the Super Sevens Series to be the first of four tournaments in the Series for 2012.
With national and Premiership club rugby teams participating and the kudos of being part of the Super Sevens Series this year, the event promises to be even bigger and better.
Several teams, including Premiership giants Leicester Tigers and Northampton Saints, have already confirmed their places in the 16-team tournament.
Mike Robinson, chairman of Bury Rugby Club, said: “It’s an honour for Bury St Edmunds RUFC to be selected as a Super Sevens Series venue and testament to the growing success year on year of our ULR Sevens Tournament.
You may also want to watch:
“The quality of the rugby is always outstanding and for anyone who loves the game it’s a chance to see world class players playing in East Anglia.
“Last year as well as the England and Welsh national teams, we welcomed some of the very best sevens teams including Blackheath, Apache and Marauders.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 2 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
“The final was played out between England St George and Samurai Barracudas, with the Barracudas narrowly piping England to the post with a 15-13 win.
“The event is a superb family fun day out with something for everyone, from children’s funfair and live music, a wide choice of food and drink stalls to, of course, the rugby.
“It’s a great way to introduce youngsters to the thrill of top level rugby and for many spectators a chance to meet their rugby heroes.
“This year we will also be running a beer festival, kicking off on Friday 4th and featuring a range of local and national ales.”
The full line-up of participating teams and a sporting celebrity guest to present the winning trophy will be announced on 1st April.
Tickets for the event, which last year attracted over 2000 spectators are �7 per adult, �3 for U16s and free for Under 5.
For the latest information on this event visit www.bserufc.co.uk