Brilliant Bury run in seven tries in big win over Canterbury

Sam Bixby was Bury's star man. Picture: SHAWN PEARCE

Sam Bixby was Bury's star man. Picture: SHAWN PEARCE - Credit: Archant

National League Two South Bury St Edmunds 46 Canterbury 26 These two mid-table teams served up an 11-try feast with Bury deservedly edging the contest by virtue of scoring seven to the visitors’ four, writes Simon Lord.

In this open and flowing game, the damage was done in the first 15 minutes as Bury racked up three unconverted tries to put a stranglehold on the match.

Sam Bixby made up for his overthrown line-out by hounding Best into coughing up possession. Bury rumbled their way up to the try line and Tui Uru forced his way over.

Then Fraser Honey’s fine kick put Canterbury under pressure. The line-out was stolen and sent infield. Mark Kohler burst through and probably could have scored but handed on to Will Affleck who made no mistake.

The third score started by them winning a scrum against the head in their own 22. The Wolpack then moved steadily up field before culminating with Kohler clutching Honey’s high cross field kick and dropping down for the try.

You may also want to watch:

In reply, a period of Canterbury pressure culminated with right wing Guy Hilton sliding over in the corner.

The converted score gave them hope but livewire scrum half Jake Ashby, back in the side after being on international duty last week, quickly got his side back on the front foot with a break which saw Bixby go over for a fine score. Honey landed the conversion and Bury had a comfortable 22–7 lead and the bonus point in the bag.

Most Read

To make things even better before the break, Kohler picked off Oli Best’s pass and went over from 60 metres to make it 29-7.

Things did not improve for Canterbury after the break, with Dwayne Corcoran stretching Bury’s lead almost immediately and it was 36-7.

With the game seemingly in the bag, Bury lost their shape a little and Canterbury, true to their principles, continued to run the ball and were duly rewarded.

Tries from Sam Kenny and Dan Smart made it 36-21, but then Bury’s forwards put their mark on the game. Mitchell leapt high at the back of the line out, the pack gathered round and the drive was quickly hurtling for the try line. Cadman saw yellow for his attempt to drag the maul down and the penalty try was duly awarded.

There was still time for Canterbury’s Aiden Moss to go over to finish the game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter