Bury's Cup run comes to an end

FA CUP FIRST ROUNDAlfreton 4 Bury Town 2BURY Town's brave FA Cup run has finally come to an end after a fine second-half performance by Blue Square North side Alfreton Town.


Alfreton 4 Bury Town 2

BURY Town's brave FA Cup run has finally come to an end after a fine second-half performance by Blue Square North side Alfreton Town.

Richard Wilkins' side had fought back from behind to lead 2-1 at the break but three second-half strikes by their Derbyshire hosts sealed their fate.

The game got off to the worst possible start for Bury when, after a series of Alfreton corners, the hosts took the lead after three minutes.

Tom Curtis played the ball out to the right, Danny Maymam looped the ball beyond the back post and towering centre half Martin McIntosh arrived to direct a header beyond Marcus Garnham.

Most Read

The early goal bred confidence amongst the team in red and Alfreton dominated possession in the early stages.

The big turning point of the first half came when Bury keeper Garnham pulled off a top-class save to keep his side in it after 20 minutes, the 20-year-old diving full stretch to his right to keep out a crisp long-range volley from Paul Clayton.

Two minutes later and the Suffolk side had snatched an equaliser with their first real effort of the match. Lee Smith got free down the right and his pinpoint cross was fired in off the bar from six yards by Gavin Johnson.

The game was suddenly on its head and you could see the confidence flood through the Bury ranks. A fine saving tackle from skipper Tom Bullard on Leo Fortune-West made sure the scores stayed level, before the visitors took the lead after 33 minutes.

The goal once again came from down the right, Liam Barrett crossing for an unmarked Lee Reed to chest down and fire home at the back post.

Alfreton almost drew level on half time, but Josh Laws' superb volley from 25 yards was denied by the crossbar.

Bury came flying out of the blocks in the second half and it was soon clear that they were not looking to sit on their one-goal advantage but the scores were level on the hour when Josh Laws' left-hand corner was powerfully headed home by the arriving Fortune-West.

Four minutes later and Bury were behind. Sam Nunn tugged Paul Clayton's shirt in the box and Josh Law fired home the resulting penalty into the top right-hand corner.

Alfreton resumed control after their quick-fire two goals and although Bury tried their hardest to get back into the game the result was sealed in stoppage time when Clayton raced clear down the left score his side's fourth.

Attendance: 1,060

Man of the Match: Tom Bullard (Bury Town)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter