Bury shut-out in the rain by Tonbridge Juddians

PUBLISHED: 13:50 07 October 2018 | UPDATED: 13:50 07 October 2018

Mark Kohler was Bury's man-of-the-match in their defeat to Tonbridge Juddians. Picture: SHAWN PEARCE

Mark Kohler was Bury's man-of-the-match in their defeat to Tonbridge Juddians. Picture: SHAWN PEARCE


National League Two South

Bury St Edmunds 0

Tonbridge Juddians 10

An 80th minute Will Robinson penalty denied Bury a losing bonus point in this disappointing game, writes Simon Lord.

The visitors showed a ruthless side in pressing home their advantage against by then a side battered and bruised from injury.

Early play suggested Bury would have their work cut out to break down a solid TJ defence and a penalty at a scrum for an early push gave Robinson the chance to open his account, but his kick fell just short on eight minutes.

The strong winds, allied to driving rain, meant creative play would be at a premium and although Bury had the majority of possession, they lacked the nous and creativity to break down a well organised TJ defence.

All too often a frustrated Bury were forced to kick away possession and on 23 minutes they were made to pay when TJ’s carried the ball back with real interest before Robinson saw a gap in the drifting Bury defence to race to the line.

Confusion reigned for a few seconds as the officials consulted over the grounding of the ball before awarding the score, which the 10 converted himself.

Bury enjoyed their best period of attacks in the closing minutes of the half. Sam Bixby, on for skipper Ollie Watson – whose cut eye injury had opened up again – led the charge, aided and abetted by Mark Kohler.

For the closing six minutes of the half Bury pummelled the visitors defence but an outstanding rear-guard action led by Colderick and Irvine held firm.

Bury had nothing to show for their labours and sadly lost Hooker Calum Torpey with a suspected ankle fracture in the closing seconds of the half.

In the second half, both defences were clearly on top and it became apparent that scores, if they were to come, would be rare and need either a moment of magic or a mistake.

Neither came, instead more and more stoppages occurred as players fell to the ground. Bury lost Leng and Browne with worrying bangs to the head and with it two potential match winners.

TJ’s kept the pressure on until they earned a penalty from a scrum eight metres out. They were determined to deny Bury anything from the game and Robinson bisected the posts from 25 metres to seal the victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times