Bury St Edmunds 1 Colchester 1

NE14Hockey East LeaguePremier BBury St Edmunds 1Colchester 1COLCHESTER finally got their league season up and running with a point away at Bury St Edmunds.

NE14Hockey East League

Premier B

Bury St Edmunds 1

Colchester 1

You may also want to watch:

COLCHESTER finally got their league season up and running with a point away at Bury St Edmunds. Colchester's quest for their first point of the season was hampered when Michael Pearce took a deflected ball to the head and need to go to hospital to have 11 stitches in a cut just above his eye. However with a little re-jigging Colchester settled into the game.

Colchester took the lead midway through the first half. After a good run, Matt Low fired a pass into the 'D' which was initially missed by Brian Barker, but found Craig Warriner at the back post. Warriner made no mistake as he slotted the ball into the goal.

Most Read

Bury St Edmunds did have the ball in the back of the net themselves within minutes of Colchester taking the lead, however the umpire adjudged that the ball had not left the 'D' before a shot at a penalty corner.

Colchester continued to create chances in the first half with Will Devitt firing high and wide with his reverse stick shot. Colchester were very unlucky not to go into half-time with a two goal advantage. After a neat move the ball fell to Rob Mann in the 'D'. Mann fired his shot towards goal but could only find the post. The rebound fell to Rohan Khaira who slapped the ball goal wards but somehow the Bury goalkeeper managed to get his glove on the ball and deflect it over for a long corner.

The second half continued in a similar fashion with neither side really taking control of the game. Colchester had a glorious chance to double their advantage when Tim Wright saw his effort cleared of the line by a defender. It was a good move that led to Wright's shot. Wright broke down play deep in Colchester's half. His pass found Warriner who turned his man and drove at the Bury defence. Warriner played a one-two with Barker before rounding the keeper. Warriner was tackled but the ball fell to the late arriving Wright who slapped the ball towards goal only to see a defender get across to save.

Bury St Edmund's equaliser came midway through the second half. A poorly played pass out of defence by Matt Low gifted the ball to a Bury attacker, who drove straight into the 'D' and fired his shot past Grant Hibbert in the Colchester goal. Colchester almost conceded a second from a similarly suicidal pass from Matt Foakes however this time Hibbert saved.

Colchester continued to create chances and had a number of Penalty Corners. Comedy moment of the match came from a Colchester penalty corner when a poor injection failed to leave the 'D' and Richard Bran ran into the 'D' to collect the ball before firing his shot at goal, whilst neglecting the rule that the ball has to leave the 'D'. Colchester's best chance at snatching a winner fell to Rob Mann, however he shot wide from an acute angle when there were men waiting in better positions.

Bury did have the ball in the Colchester goal once more however the shot was form outside the 'D' and was correctly disallowed.

Hill's residential man of the match was Joe Rich for his good work from right back.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter