Bury St Edmunds: Rwandan Olympians given warm reception as they arrive for training
THE Deputy High Commissioner for Rwanda has spoken of the warm welcome the country’s Olympic team has received in Bury St Edmunds.
Four Rwandan Olympic hopefuls are now training in the town ahead of the Games after arriving in the UK on Friday.
Alphonsine Agahozo is competing in the 50m freestyle swimming, Jean Pierre Mvuyekure in the marathon, Fred Yannick Uwase Sekamana in judo and Robert Kajuga in the 10,000m.
They are training at Bury St Edmunds Leisure Centre, which will stay open for business as usual as the athletes want to train as part of the community.
Yesterday, there was a civic reception for the team at the Athenaeum in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy High Commissioner for Rwanda, Linda Kalimba, told the gathering: “We Rwandans feel very at home. We really think you shouldn’t endeavour to do much more. You have beautiful souls. You exude them and we feel that love.”
Gifts were exchanged between the Rwandans and representatives from the Bury community.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 8 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 9 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 10 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
Councillor Colin Noble, cabinet member for the Olympics at Suffolk County Council, said: “We will be following your performance with great interest and will certainly be rooting for you, after Team GB [Great Britain] that is.” While the athletes are in the town they will be attending a number of community events.