Bury St Edmunds win crucial National 2 game at relegation rivals Barnes

Tom Rock scored one of Bury's tries.

Tom Rock scored one of Bury's tries. - Credit: Archant

Bury took a big stride to securing their National 2 status with a bonus-point victory over relegation rivals Barnes.

Two early Glyn Hughes penalties calmed their nerves and they began to get into their stride.

Harry Anderson-Brown got Bury deep into the home half and with good support from Darren Gillespie, the visitors were soon attacking in the Barnes 22 with a penalty advantage. The players stayed patient and waited until they could prise open the defence for Jaid Wiltshire to slide over.

Bury were then hit by Barnes on the break, Fraser Carlisle scoring.

Another brace of Hughes penalties restored Bury’s lead, only for a turn over to see Carlisle dance his way over again.

You may also want to watch:

The smash-and-grab was completed just before half-time when Hind raced down field and found Rupert Crossland, who barged his way over. The reliable O’Toole could not miss.

Barnes were full of confidence and after an aimless kick allowed Martey to run the ball back, evading two or three lacklustre tackles, he passed to Carlisle who celebrated his hat-trick.

Most Read

Bury refused to panic and a fine tactical kick was chased well by Wiltshire, who hounded his opposite number into conceding a penalty on the 22m line, from which the visitors went for the try from the penalty.

Although they could not breach the line initially, Hughes cleverly dinked the ball through for Tom Rock to touch down.

Having converted, Hughes then nudged Bury ahead, and a single-point lead meant nerves were now beginning to fray.

Coutts’ influence for Bury at the scrum forced his opposite number to lash out iand see yellow.

Bury ought to have made it count with a penalty try but at the third time of asking they elected to pick and go from the scrum and eventually, Wiltshire dived over in the left corner, Hughes converting.

The kitchen sink was thrown at Bury and O’Toole hit a penalty.

The kick now gave Barnes two bonus points and a need of just one more try to win the match.

But this time the Bury defence was sound and Gillespie scooped up a dropped pass and raced away, before seemingly sending Matt Edison in for a try.

A tap tackle felled the No 8 but the ball left for Wiltshire to score his hat-trick, Hughes converting.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter