Bury start season with win over Chilton

Bury St Edmunds entertain Clifton in their first National League 2 home game of the season at The Ha

Bury St Edmunds entertain Clifton in their first National League 2 home game of the season at The Haberden - Credit: Archant

National League Two South Bury St Edmunds 30 Chilton 10 Bury kicked off their second season in National Division 2 with a fine victory.

A dominant first half display by the home side effectively ended the game as a contest before half-time.

Clifton, shorn of some notable players were no match to a Bury side that quickly got into their stride after Barnes had landed an early penalty for the visitors.

The match was a typical early season affair with neither side really hitting their straps, but in Darren Gillespie, Bury had the stand-out player. Ex Jed Forest and Scotland 7s, the No 8 was at the heart of many Bury attacks.

Trailing for the only time in the match, an attacking scrum on halfway allowed him to link with Peres to send Irish winger Mellet away under the sticks unscathed. Scott Lyle added the extras.

You may also want to watch:

Peres thought he had added another when another searing Burt counter, started by Bixby, taken on by Lyle had seen the Frenchman dart over, only to be brought back for a foot in touch.

Injuries forced Bury to re-jig both half backs, but it did not knock them off their stride, Shaq Meyers performing admirably at scrum-half in Peres absence.

Most Read

Bury were dominating proceedings and Lyle clocked up the points as Clifton were forced to concede penalties. Lyle was to go on and finish with 15 points from the boot, with an almost flawless kicking display.

Clifton offered little in attack and although Bury were enjoying the lion’s share of possession they too laboured to make in roads into the Lavender and Blacks defence.

Sam Bixby did add to Bury’s try tally, cutting a good angle to the line after the three-quarters had raced 70 metres downfield from a restart.

It was all Bury and they launched wave after wave of attacks. Desperate Clifton defence somehow survived although Lyle added two penalties when the defensive desperation got too much and penalties were conceded.

The final score of the half deservedly went to Gillespie.

The No 8 had tormented the visiting midfield on more than once occasion and when tigerish Bury defence forced a turnover just inside the half, the Scot won the race to his own hack down field to score by the sticks, as expected Lyle added the extras.

With a 27-3 half-time lead, Bury would have been expected to really kick on.

However a combination of yet more changes of personnel due to injury and yellow cards, plus an improved rear guard action by Clifton nullified proceedings.

The visitors held sway for much of the half but it was a pretty turgid affair.

Neither side really created much attack of note as the game was played out in the middle of the park. Sam Sterling led a midfield resistance for Bury but Clifton deservedly pulled a score back after several minutes camped on the Bury line.

Fly-half Barnes ghosted in under the sticks for a try while Lyle notched a penalty in reply but there was little more to interest the crowd.

Bury pushed for a bonus point-earning fourth try but it always looked unlikely and Clifton finished the stronger of the two teams.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter