Bury Town and Leiston go head-to-head, while Needham Market is postponed, on busy non-league night
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
There is a mouth-watering tie in prospect at Ram Meadow tonight, as Bury Town entertain Leiston in the first round of the Ryman League Cup.
Both teams go into the game with two wins and a draw from their first three games as they plot different missions this summer.
Ben Chenery’s Blues are looking to make an immediate return to the Ryman Premier Division, while Leiston, managed by former Bury boss Richard Wilkins, will hope that this year could be their year to reach the play-offs at least, following two near misses.
Elsewhere, last season’s runners-up AFC Sudbury host Brightlingsea Regent in the preliminary round of the League Cup, tonight (7.45pm).
Jamie Godbold’s hosts have enjoyed a superb start to the season, winning their first three Ryman North games of the season, including tough encounters at Cheshunt and Dereham Town.
You may also want to watch:
Sudbury made it all the way to the final of the competition two years ago, eventually losing 3-0 at Maidstone United.
League rivals Brightlingsea have made a modest start to the season, taking four points from a possible nine, but will feel confident going into tonight’s game at the Wardale Williams Stadium, having completed the double over the west Suffolk outfit in the league last season.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
Needham Market home game with Heybridge Swifts is off, while Witham Town host Maldon & Tiptree in an all-Essex tie.
Two FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round replays are to be played tonight.
Felixstowe & Walton go to Barking, following a 1-1 home draw on Saturday, while Kirkley & Pakefield will host Hertford Town.
In the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, Stanway travel to Long Melford, in a clash that has an exciting look to it.