Bury Town downed by a single goal as Lowestoft Town come from behind twice to draw

Bury Town, in blue, in action. Stock image.
Pictue: Seana Hughes

Bury Town, in blue, in action. Stock image. Pictue: Seana Hughes

Bury Town were left licking their wounds after multiple chances to take the win against Romford.

The home ‘keeper Callum Chafer was in fine form to deny Bury getting anything from this game. As early as the 3rd minute Bury went close with Bradley Barber beating the offside trap and putting a cross in the box for Josh Mayhew to strike but Chafer was out quickly to clear the danger.

Bury were rampant in the first 15 minutes and should have been in front but Romford weathered the storm thanks to Chafer.

Romford got more possession as the half went on and on 33 minutes a long ball into the box found Chris Taylor but his shot went over the bar.

Ollie Fenn kept Romford out on 36 minutes clearing the ball off the line from a Chinedu McKenzie strike. On 38 minutes Bury put another chance wide of the far post from Barber after Hughes played him in on goal.

You may also want to watch:

The second half saw more of the same with Bury missing chance after chance mostly down to an outstanding performance from Chafer.

Bury were first to go close on 48 minutes when Noel Aitkens crossed in for Josh Mayhew in the box but Mayhews turn and strike went wide of the far post.

Most Read

The sucker punch came on 56 minutes with Abdeen Abdul beating the defence and crossing in to the box for Chinedu McKenzie to strike past Bury ‘keeper Neil O’Sullivan.

Romford should have gone 2-0 up a minute later when Abdul was found unmarked in the box but could only shoot wide.

Another golden opportunity for Bury came on 59 minutes when Ryan Jolland put a ball to the feet of Ollie Hughes on the six-yard line but his scuffed shot was cleared by Chafer.

Romford found themselves down to 10 men on 62 minutes after a two-footed challenge on Jolland earned Jonathan Adebayo a straight red card.

Lowestoft Town twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Folkestone Invicta to preserve their unbeaten run.

Ian Draycott opened the scoring for visiting Folkestone before Shaun Bammant equalised shortly after half time.

Defender Frankie Chappell put Folkestone back in front and they looked to be going home with a win before Bammant added his second to level the tie at the death.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter