Bury Town keeper Marcus Garnham using video evidence
MARCUS Garnham is using video evidence to help him improve as a goalkeeper.
The Ipswich-based last line of defence, who is goalkeeper of Ryman Premier League side Bury Town, admitted he tunes into the club’s website to watch footage after matches.
He said: “I watch the video on the club website to see how I have played. It is good to watch the highlights to see if I could have done things differently or any better.”
The 24-year-old moved to Ram Meadow at the start of the 2008/09 season and has established himself as No.1 – a far cry from his first taste of senior football playing in the Suffolk & Ipswich League for Henley Athletic.
He said: “I was playing youth football for Whitton Sports Centre and at the same time for Henley Athletic in the SIL at the age of 15, when Daniel Frost offered me the chance to play for Woodbridge Town Under-18s.
“I went more or less straight into playing for the reserves at Woodbridge and at 16 I made my first-team debut against Great Yarmouth at the end of the 2003/04 season and kept a clean sheet as we won 3-0.”
Garnham, who is due to play for Bury at home to Canvey Island tomorrow, played most of the following season and thereafter established himself as Woodbridge’s first-choice keeper. It was during the 2007/08 season when he was at university in Cambridge and coming back to play games that Bury were tracking him.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 3 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 4 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 5 Fire crews spend eight hours tackling north Suffolk field blaze overnight
- 6 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 7 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 8 Man dies following two-vehicle crash in west Suffolk town
- 9 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their Burton Albion win
- 10 Burton Albion 0-1 Ipswich Town: Harness wins it as Blues stand firm
“Bury Town came to watch me a couple of times that season and I was interested to talk to them and subsequently joined them at the start of the 2008/09 season.
“Dean Greygoose was the No.1 keeper at the club, and he was a good mentor for me. He got sent off so I played in one game and then he came back in, but he then got injured so I got another chance and this time stayed in the side.”
Garnham has been Bury Town’s first choice virtually ever since, enjoying promotion to the Ryman League Premier Division at the end of the 2009/10 campaign and then winning the Suffolk Premier Cup last season.
“Winning promotion has to be one of the best days of my career so far along with the Suffolk Premier Cup final against Needham Market at Portman Road last season. We won 2-0, and it was nice to win something as I didn’t play for top teams when I was younger,” he said.