Bury St Edmunds win Stenson Shield as Hintlesham are beaten

BURY ST EDMUNDS, Stenson Shield winners: Back (from left): Michael Gee, Steven Lankester, team capta

BURY ST EDMUNDS, Stenson Shield winners: Back (from left): Michael Gee, Steven Lankester, team captain Phil Smailes (with Shield), Dan Smailes, Craig Nurse and Ben Aves. Front: Ben Coleman, Andy Cunningham, Jordan Nelli, Max Adams, Steven Duffety and Roger Nicholson. Photograph: TONY GARNETT - Credit: Archant

Bury St Edmunds have won the Stenson Shield, Suffolk’s inter-club scratch inter-club knockout, for the first time.

They beat Hintlesham at Aldeburgh by eight matches to four on a glorious day on a course with fairways that gave no hint that there had ever been a summer heatwave.

Bury led by three-and-a-half to a half after the morning foursomes. They needed to win just three of the eight singles for victory.

Hintlesham were always the underdogs once their team captain and former Suffolk Open champion Sam Debenham was ruled out of the match by gout.

Bury were missing Trevor Titcombe but were better equipped to cover for his absence.

Bury’s Ben Coleman struck the first drive of the day into deep trouble on the right. His ball was never seen again and his teenage partner, Max Adams, persuaded him to use a four-iron off the tee for the rest of the round. They beat Ben Stammers and Keith Tarrant 3 and 2.

Hintlesham would have hoped for a point from Adrian Meredith and Jamie Jones, but they had their hands full against Craig Nurse and Dan Smailes.

Most Read

It was close in the end though. Jones was unable to take advantage a great tee shot from Meredith at the 17th.

Instead of being level on the last tee, Hintlesham were scrapping for a half. Meredith’s drive found long grass on the right. Jones then sent the ball into deep trouble to the left of the green.

Smailes had played safely out of a bunker for Bury who were on the green for three. That was enough.

Jack Cardy and Trevor Hellyer fell behind early against Jordan Nelli and Steve Duffety. Hintlesham played catch-up but had to win the last to secure a half.

In the final match, Michael Gee and former Hintlesham member Andy Cunningham proved too strong for Kevin Brooks and John Booth.

In the singles Adams, who plays off plus one, beat Stammers which was no surprise. It was Hintlesham’s failure to win the second singles that killed off all but a remote chance of turning the tables.

Cardy, always trailing, pulled back to level against Gee on the last tee. His drive was wayward and the young man from Bury claimed a notable scalp.

Wins for Meredith, Jones and Hellyer restored Hintlesham pride. Hellyer won his tussle with Suffolk Seniors’ colleague Duffety but Bury needed only one win from the final three matches.

Smailes, who produced a great approach shot on the ninth, beat Brooks by one hole. Connor Talbot was keeping pace with Cunningham until the turn. Then the Bury player took control.

Coleman and Booth ended all square but the match was over by the time they finished.

Stenson Shield final

At Aldeburgh.

Bury St Edmunds 8 Hintlesham 4

Foursomes (Bury St Edmunds names first): Max Adams and Ben Coleman beat Ben Stammers and Keith Tarrant 3 and 2; Craig Nurse and Dan Smailes beat Adrian Meredith and Jamie Jones two up; Jordan Nelli and Steven Duffety halved with Jack Cardy and Trevor Hellyer; Michael Gee and Andy Cunningham beat Kevin Brooks and John Booth 5 and 4.

Singles: Adams beat Stammers 7 and 5, Nurse lost to Meredith 4 and 3, Nelli lost to Jones 4 and 3, Duffety lost to Hellyer two down, Smailes beat Brooks one up, Cunningham beat Connor Talbot 5 and 3, Coleman halved with Booth.

Inglis to succeed Bell

Vicki Inglis has been named as Suffolk Ladies’ captain in succession to Vanessa Bell. She will take over in January,

Bell said: “Vicki has played golf within the county since she was a junior. She brings a strong, competitive background to the role. She has been a member of the first team for a number of years and knows what is needed both in the development of all teams and to be competitive at East County Week.” Over the years Vicki has maintained her low handicap. Her golf has been curtailed this season by injury.

She intends to be a playing captain and will concentrate on the organization of the Suffolk teams. The administration of the Association will be carried out by the President, Mo Pearson.

Haskell Trophy

The final of the Haskell Trophy on October 1 will be between Felixstowe Ferry and Rookery Park. Rookery Park, with Hannah Rees playing once again, beat Bungay. The formidable Felixstowe beat Hintlesham.

The Cranworth Trophy final will be between Ipswich and Felixstowe Ferry at Bramford on September 27.

Coronation win

Diss pair Sarah Gotts and Kerry Enever won the Suffolk Coronation Foursomes hosted by Newton Green.

Runners-up were Julie Byford and Elizabeth Bezance of Bury St Edmunds. Sheila Jarvis and Alice Wan of Felixstowe Ferry were third. June Kenworth of Rushmere had a hole in one at the 148-yard 11th.

Champion of Champions

The Champion of Champions competitions took place at Woodhall Spa over the weekend.

George Fricker (Ufford Park) finished third in the junior event, the best Suffolk result since Alastair Hall tied with Jay Beisser and James Burnett in 2009.

Fricker was three under par and level with winner Ben Schmidt (Yorkshire) after 15 holes. Fricker finished with bogey, double and birdie while Schmidt had par, birdie, par.

Andy Ball (Bury St Edmunds), representing Suffolk in the senior event, had two rounds of 81.

James Biggs (Diss) was not available to play in the county champions’ event.

Parks Trophy

The final of the Parks Trophy, the inter-club knockout for seniors with handicaps of 12 or better, will be between Rushmere and Thorpeness at Ipswich on Monday, September 24.

Thorpeness: Richard Newton, Mick Ford, Jon Last, Robert Ayrton, Tony Marden, Mick Cook, Peter Cooney, David Brown. Reserves: Martin Youngs, Ray Foreman (captain).

Rushmere: Tom Howard, Glyn Chaplin, Peter Robinson, Ray Smith, Alan Middle, Graham Hurren, Charlie Maskell, Roger Baird. Captain: Steve Potts.