Bury youngster set for Hadrian’s Wall challenge
PROMISING colt Ed Barrett will be swapping his rugby boots for walking boots when he embarks on a five-day charity walk along one of the UK’s most spectacular landmarks.
The 17-year-old Bury St. Edmunds player plans to walk Hadrian’s Wall, along with his friend, Richard Preston, pictured right. to raise money for Alzheimers Research, between October 27 and November 1.
Ed, a sixth form pupil at Thetford Grammar School has already raised about �500 for the charity which funds research into a disease that has affected both his grandfathers to varying degrees.
His aim is to raise at least double that, and the winger/scrum half is likely to be well supported by his team-mates, among other contributors.
“The walk will be fine, it should be fairly really, and it won’t be the highest walk I have ever done,” said Ed, who lives in Hessett.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s 76 miles long and we will be doing it over five days in between staying in bed and breakfast accomodation.”
Rugby-wise, this could be Ed’s last season for now, with the team he has played for since under-eight level – the teenager is planning to go to university to study bio-medical science.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
However, he is enjoying his time with the club and is playing his part in the successful colts team.
“I just play to have fun and the team are doing pretty well this season,” he added.
To donate to Ed’s cause visit: mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/edbarrett1 or use a sponsor form from the Colts’ squad.