Bury youngsters outclassed by Charlton in FA Youth Cup

CALLUM Harriott inspired Charlton Athletic to a comfortable 4-0 win as Bury Town bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the second round stage.

The flying left winger was on the bench for Charlton’s Npower League One match against Yeovil on Saturday.

And just four days later, he was the scourge of the Suffolk minnows – having a hand in all of the Under-18s’ three first half goals which effectively ended the cup tie.

A fourth goal, the best of the night from Bradley Jordan, merely sealed the Addicks’ progress and a third round clash with Norwich City.

Harriott was a constant menace down the left flank and he signalled his intent after 14 minutes when Bury keeper Jamie Greygoose had to be alert to save his low shot.

You may also want to watch:

Charlton should have taken the lead after Jordan’s goalbound effort hit his own man – Adebayo Azeez – and bounced wide.

This galvanised the visitors a little and they could have taken a shock lead when Luke Parkinson met Will Hitter’s searching cross but headed wide from a good position.

Most Read

Chances of a giantkilling often hinge on such key moments and Parkinson’s miss was punished just four minutes later.

A good burst forward from Harriott ended with a through ball to match and Azeez’s slightly deflected shot nestled into the corner of the Bury net.

If the first goal was crucial, not conceding a second before half time was equally so.

But Bury’s brave resistance could not quite hold out until the interval. Charlton doubled their lead with the same deadly combination – Harriott’s 20-yarder smartly saved by Greygoose but Azeez on hand to force home the rebound.

The Bury keeper made a fantastic double save to deny the same two attackers but a third duly came in first half injury time, a sharp turn and finish by Tosan Popo, after another Harriott pass, all but ended the game before half time.

Bury had booked their place against the League One side with an amazing 5-4 win over Bromley – after being 4-1 down at the break.

A repeat performance always looked unlikely against a well-organised Charlton side, blessed with good technical skill and pace in abundance.

There was a smattering of hope when Town striker Adam Burrough’s volley was smartly saved and Connor Hall headed wide from Luke Ingram’s deep free kick.

But as Harriott continued to bamboozle the Bury boys, it was the hosts who seemed most likely to add to their tally. And so it proved in the 73rd minute when, out of nothing, Jordan took one touch inside and curled a beautiful left footed shot over the despairing Greygoose.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter