Busy night of non-league action

BRAINTREE recorded their first win of the season in Blue Square South last night while Leiston made it two wins out of two in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.

BRAINTREE recorded their first win of the season in Blue Square South last night while Leiston made it two wins out of two in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.


Braintree Town 2 Bromley 1

BRAINTREE began on the attack, and Leon Archer almost put Braintree one up on 10 minutes but put his header just wide.

You may also want to watch:

Newly promoted Bromley were showing their attacking flair, creating several chances with Danny Hockton looking dangerous.

But on 15 minutes the Iron took the lead, Jones picking up a loose ball in his own half and found Archer, who played in Sullivan. As the keeper came out he dragged the ball wide and scored from close in.

Most Read

Bromley continued to cause problems, but Braintree looked confident going forward.

Braintree made the perfect start to the second half, Chris Sullivan playing in Leon Archer to score from 10 yards.

Bromley pulled a goal back on the hour, Francis Duku firing in from 18 yards after a poor clearance, and moments later could have got back on level terms with a shot from Hockton.

Braintree replied with a stinging drive from Robbie Martin that Walker, the Bromley keeper, did well to reach. Archer almost made the game safe for Braintree in the last minute, but the Iron held on for the win.


Leiston 4 Felixstowe and Walton Utd 2

LEISTON secured their second win of the season but struggled in the second period to overcome a game Felixstowe.

Leiston led in the seventh minute through a McGlone penalty although the decision looked dubious. With the strong wind, Cudworth produced three good saves as Leiston dominated but they had to wait until the 45th minute for their second goal, when Nash headed home a great cross from Saker.

Felixstowe pulled a goal back on 52 minutes when Nash was caught in possession and Buckle released Phillips, who lobbed the advancing Stannard. On 69 minutes the visitors drew level when Phillips fired home a free kick from Frost from close range.

Three minutes later Leiston regained the lead when a cross from Saker slipped through Frost and Stanley pounced from six yards. In the final minute great strength and pace from McGlone saw him fire across goal, with Bell firing into his own goal.

Harwich and Parkeston 4 Ipswich Wanderers 1

IN monsoon conditions Harwich caught the Wanderers team napping with a first-minute cross from newly-signed Steve Towns that found Luke Jones at the back post to nod in.

Harwich pressure was unrelenting and it took until early in the second half to add to the score sheet, Lee Underwood heading in following a fierce Meadow's shot that Vanvecor could only carry into the air.

Two further goals in as many minutes from Martin Calver secured the three points for Harwich.

However, there was just enough time for Wanderers to get a late consolation goal, Lewis Driver rounding Wooton.

Lowestoft Town 1 Wroxham 4

CHAMPIONS Wroxham came away from Crown Meadow with a victory after three goals in the second half. The hero for Wroxham was winger Andy Key, who netted a hat-trick but it was Lowestoft who took a 21st-minute lead from the penalty spot through Richard Woodrow, after being brought down himself following a good run by Hough.

Hough then hobbled off injured and on 37minutes Key hit an angled shot from the Lowestoft past keeper Rix to make it 1-1 at half time.

It took Wroxham until the 76th minute to go into the lead through Key. Hilton then slipped the ball inside to Thompson for a well taken goal to make it 3-1 and three minutes from time Key completed his hat-trick.

Woodbridge Town 3 Walsham le Willows 0

THREE goals in the opening 35 minutes saw Woodbridge pick up their first points of the new season.

It took the home team just eight minutes to break the deadlock, Allicion Blake jumping unmarked to head home a right-wing corner.

Ben Seaman doubled Woodbridge's advantage in the 25th minute, heading home from Aaron Churchyard's cross to the far post.

Blake's clever close control saw him beat a defender and create space to fire home the third following Ben Garnham's through ball.

Any faint hopes Walsham held of staging a second-half comeback were effectively ended three minutes after the interval, when Matthew Musgrove was shown a straight red for kicking out at Blake after a midfield tackle.

Needham Market 1 Mildenhall Town 0

A GLENN Snell goal on 76 minutes split the two sides.

Mildenhall bossed the possession for long periods without threatening. Goalkeeper Liam Jones' fingertips kept Needham alive from a Gareth Simpson drive.

The tempo increased, following a Ben Nower block.

On came substitute Snell to pierce the visitors' defence. Needham could have added a second but were denied in a very tough, hard-fought game.

Norwich Utd 1 Kirkley and Pakefield 3

NEW signing Jordan Blyth caused havoc in the Norwich United defence and on 13 minutes scored the first of his two goals after a neat flick through by Alan Remblance.

A quick break by United on 27 minutes saw Corren Hardy make it 1-1. On the half hour a deep cross by Ryan de Coteau found Blythe in space and he got among the defence to put it past Hill. The final goal in a deserved Kirkley win came in the 51st minute when a powerful header at the far post by skipper Joe Jefford put Kirkley 3-1 up for the final score from Jamie Stokolds excellent corner.


Cornard Utd 2 FC Clacton 3

AFTER two minutes good work down the right between Clacton's Shaun Craven and Kevin Coyle resulted in a Mark White shot that went just past the post.

Somewhat against the run the play Cornard took the lead as Cornard's number nine Ross Barton shot a sweet curling effort past keeper Quinn in the top corner.

Cornard extended their lead in the 29th minute when a deep cross from the right was met by Alani's header.

Straight from the kick off Clacton's Lynes stroke the ball through the defence to be met by James Dunkley, who shot brought the Seasiders back into the game.

As halftime approached Clacton had one free kick that was deflected for a corner, the resulting corner was headed by White but was cleared off the line. A 44th-minute Lynes run ended with a cross but the Clacton players got in each other's way and the ball trickled wide.

In the 55th minute Shaun Craven levelled the scores as Clacton put a great move together and he slid the ball past the keeper. In the 60th minute the same player scored after superb play by Matty Waters.

HadleighUtd 2 Whitton Utd 4

A hat-trick by Gavin Crane set up a fine victory for Whitton in a lively game in which all six goals came in the second half.

Crane converted a penalty kick after 48 minutes to open the scoring but Powling headed the equaliser five minutes later. Crane soon put Whitton in front again after 62 minutes.

Myhill scored for Hadleigh after 73 minutes but Banyan and Crane added further goals for Whitton in the closing stages.

Tiptree Utd 2 Halstead Town 1

A GOAL two minutes from the end of each half gave Tiptree a victory in this local derby last night played in torrential rain.

The visitors had several players absent through injury and holidays, with former Tiptree keeper Paul Wood taking over the Halstead jersey. The early exchanges were quite impressive, the first corner going to Tiptree. But overall neither side created much in the way of danger.

On the half hour mark Halstead forced their first corner from which Abraham hooked just wide. However, it was Tiptree who broke the deadlock two minutes before the interval when Hill made a good run down the left and crossed, forcing a corner from which Arlick headed home. Halstead resumed the second half in good spirit but overall there was little to choose between the sides and midway through, a flurry of substitutes livened the proceedings.

On 80 minutes Halstead got back on terms when a cross form Rowell was headed home by Pollard.

Both sides went all out for the winner which came when Halstead keeper Wood was booked for decent and the free kick found its way to Ward fire home the winner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter