Callum Harriott rifles home a dramatic late winner for Colchester United
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 3 Altrincham 2
Colchester United ended the brave challenge of non-league Altrincham, with virtually the last kick of the game, in a topsy-turvy FA Cup second round tie at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this afternoon.
The U’s leaky defence, the worst in the Football League, conceded their 56th and 57th goals of the season, from 24 league and cup games.
But equalisers from Callum Harriott and Tom Lapslie looked to have earned the U’s a replay, until Harriott again came up trumps with a dramatic winner in the fourth minute of injury-time.
Altrincham sent out an early warning that this would be no easy afternoon for the U’s, by breaking the deadlock inside three minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Moult, spotting Jamie Jones off his line, produced a wonderful 30-yard lob which soared over the U’s keeper’s head and dropped into an unguarded net.
The U’s were level in the 14th minute. Winger Harriott won the ball and then exchanged a one-two with Marvin Sordell before bursting through to beat keeper Tim Deasy.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
It was the Charlton loanee’s sixth goal of the season, and his third in the last three games.
Altrincham regained their lead after just 18 seconds of the second half, with Michael Rankine catching the U’s cold to slot past Jones from 10 yards out.
However, the League One hosts equalised for a second time in the 53rd minute, midfielder Lapslie heading into an empty net from Sordell’s precise cross.
A replay looked on the cards, but Harriott then popped up with a spectacular winner with a sizzling shot at the death.
COLCHESTER: Jones, Brindley (sub Olufemi, 81), Eastman, Elokobi, Briggs, Lapslie (sub Szmodics, 69), Gilbey, Massey (sub Porter, 83), Moncur, Sordell, Harriott. Unused subs: Bransgrove, Edwards,, Kent, Bonne.
ALTRINCHAM: Deasy, Sinnott, Heathcote, Leather, Griffin, Lawrie, Richman, Moult, Crowther (sub Clee, 67), Rankin, Reeves (sub Bowerman, 87). Unused subs: Williams, Swift, Cain, Davis, Stouppis.
Referee: A Davies (Hants)
Attendance: 2,592 (398 away fans)