Heavy Showers

Heavy Showers

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 2°C

Kings of Anglia Issue 9 Magazine Offer

Cambridge United 1 Colchester United 0, match report: U’s dreadful away record continues

PUBLISHED: 16:57 02 September 2017 | UPDATED: 17:06 02 September 2017

Mikael Mandron under pressure from Cambridge defender Leon Legge during the first half. Colchester lost 1-0. Picture PAGEPIX

Mikael Mandron under pressure from Cambridge defender Leon Legge during the first half. Colchester lost 1-0. Picture PAGEPIX

Pagepix Ltd

Cambridge United 1 Colchester United 0

Uche Ikpeazu settled this East Anglian derby to inflict a third straight away defeat of the season on poor travellers Colchester United.

The Essex club, beaten at Accrington Stanley and Luton, were again second best at Cambridge United this afternoon.

Ikpeazu capped a spell of Cambridge pressure by breaking the deadlock on 64 minutes.

Ironically, former Colchester striker Jabo Ibehre, introduced as a substitute just four minutes earlier, was the man to tee up Ikpeazu.

The front-man latched onto Ibehre’s knock-down and unleashed a cracking left-footed shot, from just inside the penalty area, which flew low past Sam Walker.

It means that John McGreal’s men have still only won one away match in 2017, at Leyton Orient last April.

Colchester were unchanged from last weekend’s 5-1 home win over Forest Green Rovers, which was their first victory of the season.

Three of the five new players, recruited on transfer deadline day on Thursday, were included on the substitutes’ bench – Brandon Comley, Nicke Kabamba and Sanmi Odelusi.

It was a very bright start from the visitors. Keeper David Forde had to charge out of his penalty area to clear before Sammie Szmodics could pounce on Tom Lapslie’s measured through ball, and Forde then performed heroics to block Kyel Reid’s goal-bound shot at point blank range on three minutes.

Cambridge threatened first in the 17th minute, via a strong run by former Colchester attacker Medy Elito. Ache Azeez was teed up by his strike-force partner Uche Ikpeazu, but he sliced his shot horribly wide from a good position.

Sam Walker was not required to make a save until midway through the first half, when he safely smothered a low 25-yarder from Jevani Brown.

At the other end, Sean Murray had a snap shot which was deflected only a foot wide of the far post, while Frankie Kent’s towering header from the ensuing 26th minute corner looped harmlessly over the top.

In first-half stoppage time, Azeez came the closest to scoring with a flick header which had Walker scurrying his goal as the ball drifted just wide of the far upright.

The visitors made a change for the start of the second period. Lewis Kinsella had struggled at left-back, and so was replaced by Ryan Jackson, while Odelusi came on for his Colchester debut as a 53rd minute substitute for Reid.

On the hour mark, Walker dived to his left to keep out a stinging low drive from danger-man Ikpeazu, as Cambridge began to step up a gear.

But Walker had no chance as Ikpeazu beat him all ends up for a 64th minute opener.

It was so very nearly 2-0 to the hosts just six minutes later, Walker launching himself to his left to claw away a rising shot by Jevani Brown.

Colchester had struggled to get going in the second half, although Mikeael Mandron squandered a good chance when miscuing a shot wide from 15 yards out on 78 minutes.

New boy Odelusi missed a great chance in the last minute of stoppage time, heading wide from just eight yards out.


CAMBRIDGE: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taylor, Dunk, Deegan, Brown, Maris (sub Carroll, 77), Elito (sub Mingoia, 60), Ikpeazu, Azeez (sub Ibehre, 60). Unused subs: Mitov, Taft, Osadebe, O’Neil.

COLCHESTER: Walker, Vincent-Young, Eastman, Kent, Kinsella (sub Jackson, 46), Lapslie, Murray, Wright (sub James, 70), Szmodics, Reid (sub Odelusi, 53), Mandron. Unused subs: Gilmartin, Comley, Kabamba, Issa.

Referee: Nick Kinseley (Essex)

Attendance: 4,511 (791 away fans)

Andy Warren gives his observations following Ipswich Town’s hard-fought 1-0 victory at Portman Road this afternoon.

Paul Lambert always felt his first win as Ipswich manager would be a scruffy one, with the Scot proud of his players after they saw out seven minutes of stoppage time to secure three points against Wigan.

It wasn’t pretty, but Freddie Sears’ deflected goal was enough to secure Ipswich Town’s first home win since April this afternoon.

Ipswich Town beat Wigan Athletic 1-0 at Portman Road this afternoon. Relive the action here.

Ipswich Town fans have been giving their reactions to today’s 1-0 win over Wigan at Portman Road...

Andy Warren looks ahead to Ipswich Town’s clash with Wigan Athletic this afternoon.

Every day in the run-up to Christmas, we’re counting down Ipswich Town’s greatest-ever players, culminating in the Blues’ best featuring on Christmas Day.

In this week’s Ipswich Town nostalgia, we look back to December 21, 2004, when Darren Bent took Ipswich to the top of the Championsip on Christmas Day, after beating Wigan 2-1 thanks to his 89th-minute winner at Portman Road.

Captain Luke Chambers wants his Ipswich Town future sorted sooner rather than later but knows the club’s precarious position means he may have to be patient.

Most read

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24