Cameron James relished his battle with Ade Akinfenwa on his first start for Colchester United
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Cameron James relished his battle with Wycombe Wanderers’ man mountain, Ade Akinfenwa, during Tuesday night’s 1-0 win at the Community Stadium.
The 19-year-old centre-half marked his full senior debut with an impressive display in a four-man defence, topped by a clean-sheet as Colchester United leapt up to seventh in the League Two table.
Academy product James was told that he would be starting at the start of the week.
“I think it was better to find out earlier that I was playing, to be honest,” insisted James.
“It gave me a chance in training yesterday (Monday) to get a partnership with George (Elokobi), Richard (Brindley) and Matt Briggs. I could get my head around it.
You may also want to watch:
“When I saw that Akinfenwa was on the team-sheet, my pulse-rate did go up a little bit, with his size and his reputation, but it was good for a young player like me to play against him. It gave me something to look forward to, in a big game.”
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 4 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 5 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 6 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash