Canterbury 3 Ipswich 0

Premier DivisionCanterbury 3 Ipswich 0 For the first time this season in the Premier League, Ipswich failed to get on the score sheet and subsequently had to suffer the frustration of a 3-0 defeat.

Slazenger Women's English Hockey League

Premier Division

Canterbury 3 Ipswich 0

Ipswich failed to get on the score sheet for the first time in the league this season and subsequently had to suffer the frustration of a 3-0 defeat.

Despite maintaining possession of the ball for the majority of this game, the result sees them slip back into sixth place and seemingly out of the race for a European spot.

Ipswich started the game brightly, however, a quick break away by Canterbury saw the ball switched across the face of goal and the unmarked Hayley Brown had time smash home a reverse stick shot.

Most Read

The second half started as the first, with Ipswich dominating possession but Canterbury dominating attacking chances. As a result, Canterbury scored their second through Jen Wilson's diving deflection.

Ipswich worked harder to penetrate the home teams defence but, it looked as if it was going to be a very frustrating day and sure enough Wilson scored her second to make it 3-0.

Ipswich kept battling to the end, but the home side stood firm and claimed their first win over Ipswich in six games.

Olton 1 Chelmsford 3

Chelmsford picked up four points from their double header at the weekend.

The Essex side started the match much the stronger, but in Olton's first attack into the defending third of Chelmsford, they won a penalty corner from which they opened the scoring.

After re-grouping at half time, Chelmsford continually put Olton under pressure and it was no surprise when Becky Alltree's free-hit was superbly deflected into the goal by Kirsty Smith.

Chelmsford became even more dominant after drawing level and the inevitable second goal came following a superb passing move between Lynn Bollington and Chloe Rogers, the latter finishing off.

Tracey Comber typified the fighting spirit shown by Chelmsford and it was fitting that it was she who scored the third and final goal of the match.

Bowdon Hightown 1 Chelmsford 1

Following the Olton match, the team travelled north to Manchester knowing that their defence would be more severely tested against Bowdon Hightown who are the league's top scorers.

The match started at a frenetic pace, with Hightown unable to convert their penalty corners in the opening minutes. For a period of ten minutes Chelmsford then controlled the match.

After the break, Chelmsford finally broke the deadlock when Ciara O'Brien was the first to react to a rebound from a Lisa Wooding strike on goal, hitting high into the net.

Hightown pushed players forwarded in an attempt to level the score and inevitably the equaliser came for Hightown and the match finished a draw.

Division One

Harleston Magpies 1 Sunderland 2

Magpies were never able to produce the form they showed in the two games the previous weekend against a Sunderland side whose forwards troubled Magpies all afternoon.

After 15 minutes Sunderland took the lead through Julie Hope from a penalty corner, but Magpies were back on level terms three minutes later when Jess Bloom scored.

In a hard, competitive second half the game never really got going. Anna Truman's stick work threatened to trouble the Sunderland defence and Artemis Clark was having a solid game in midfield, but generally the forwards were finding it hard to break down the Sunderland defence.

With eight minutes to go Julie Hope snatched the winner for Sunderland with a well-taken goal.

Slazenger Men's English Hockey League

South Division

Whitchurch 1 Ipswich 7

On Saturday Ipswich embarked on a 240 mile voyage to Cardiff to play star studded giants Whitchurch whose line-up consisted of six full Welsh internationals

From the first whistle the visitors pushed the home side back and this pressure paid off as the lively Rutterford intercepted a pass then, playing a one-two with Smith, rounded the keeper to score.

From this point the Welsh side stamped their authority and grabbed an equaliser through a back post scramble with Joe Naughlty tapping in. It wasn't long before the Suffolk side deservedly took the lead again though when Evans unselfishly squared to Smith who tapped home.

From the re-start Ipswich continued to turn the screw on the home side and from two short corners late in the half, Dixon hammered one home, with another rattling the bar. Shortly after Evans deservedly added another goal to put the visitors 4-1 ahead at half time.

Ipswich started the second half patiently, Evans eventualy pouncing on yet another stray pass before skillfully gliding past a defender and placing a neat reverse stick shot into the bottom right corner.

A minute later, Roosblad powerfully struck his first National League goal.

Another Ipswich break resulted in a short corner which Dixon converted to complete the scoring.

Division One

Chelmsford 5 Teddington 1

Chelmsford remained far from happy with their performance despite a comfortable score line.

The first goal, after seven minutes, was a Hunter-brothers goal when elder statesman David crossed the ball for his younger brother Adam to slot the ball neatly past Alan Martin.

Danny Emery then gave the home side a two-goal lead, when his disguised drag flick gave Martin no chance. However, bottom-placed Teddington, who are without a point so far this season, scored after 20 minutes. Stephen Tilson able to find space before powering in a shot.

Only two minutes later, Adrian Palmer restored the Chelmsford advantage as he slid his shot past Martin. Up until this point Chelmsford had shown their ability to play good hockey, however, the side seemed at this point content with the victory and content to search for goals themselves. Former Chelmsford player Martin made a number of good saves, but goals had been available with less selfish passes around the keeper.

The next goal didn't come for a further 20 minutes when the impressive Josh Mepham scored a backhand shot that gave Martin little chance. The scoring was rounded off with one minute to go when Will Hales scored from the penalty spot, after Mepham's shot was illegally saved on the line.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter