Cav makes his Mark at Sports Personality of the Year awards
MARK Cavendish won the Sports Personality of the Year award in Salford and hailed a landmark night for British cycling.
The Isle of Man rider pipped golfer Darren Clarke and athlete Mo Farah to the gong, having achieved the two huge goals that he set for himself this year which were to clinch gold at the World Championships Road Race and take the green jersey in the Tour de France.
Cavendish joined Tommy Simpson and Sir Chris Hoy as the only cyclists to pick up the award, which is voted for by the public.
“This is a landmark in cycling, and I take this on behalf of cycling. For cycling to be recognised in a non-Olympic year, a few years ago would be unheard of, yet it’s happened,” said Cavendish.
“With cycling, as with any sport, what you put in is what you get out. It’s down to you. I can’t control how people react to what I’ve achieved and that makes it the biggest honour possible for me.
You may also want to watch:
“There are more people riding bikes now who can actually appreciate what it is. It’s not just the Tour de France, we’re racing 100 days a year and people know what it is to ride such distances in such times now and what it takes.
“It makes me smile every time I see a family out on their bikes, every time I see a child wanting to ride.”
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill