Champions League bribery scandal
PORTO have been thrown out of next season's Champions League in the wake of a bribery scandal.The Portuguese champions received a six-point deduction this season for attempting to bribe referees during the 2003/04 campaign.
PORTO have been thrown out of next season's Champions League in the wake of a bribery scandal.
The Portuguese champions received a six-point deduction this season for attempting to bribe referees during the 2003/04 campaign.
And a statement on the club website confirmed they would not play in Europe's elite club competition next season as a result.
“FC Porto was today notified by the UEFA Disciplinary Committee of the decision to not admit FC Porto to the 2008/09 edition of the UEFA Champions League,” read the statement.
You may also want to watch:
“FC Porto will appeal against this decision to the UEFA Appeals Body.”
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point