Championship club enter race for Jeffers
IPSWICH'S hopes of signing Francis Jeffers were dented today with confirmation that another Championship club is chasing the Blackburn striker.Blackburn have admitted that another genuine enquiry has been made from an unnamed club - believed to be either Coventry or possibly Norwich - and that strong interest is being shown in purchasing the 26-year-old, who is Town's number one summer target.
By Elvin King
IPSWICH'S hopes of signing Francis Jeffers were dented today with confirmation that another Championship club is chasing the Blackburn striker.
Blackburn have admitted that another genuine enquiry has been made from an unnamed club - believed to be either Coventry or possibly Norwich - and that strong interest is being shown in purchasing the 26-year-old, who is Town's number one summer target.
Jeffers scored four goals while on loan with Town last season, and Ipswich have had two bids turned down by Blackburn.
You may also want to watch:
The latest was £500,000 plus add-ons with Rovers valuing a player whose contract at Ewood Park ends next summer.
On hearing the news of a major rival for the signature of Jeffers, Blues' boss Jim Magilton said today: “There is always going to be speculation about Franny and we have to go along with that.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
“He is our main priority and we want him in the building, we will be doing all we can to confirm it.
“But if it doesn't happen we will have to look elsewhere. There's no panic.
“Blackburn are obviously looking at the Darren Bent situation at Charlton knowing that if he moves it will mean money for us in the sell-on clause.
“I have no doubts that Darren's transfer will go through, and we just have to be patient and hope that things work out in time for us to seal a deal to buy Franny.”
Blackburn have also dismissed speculation that Blues keeper Lewis Price could be going to the Premiership club as part of any Jeffers deal.
Ipswich have shown an interest in their former keeper Richard Wright, who is available on a free transfer from Everton but Magilton said today: “The first thing I would do would be to inform by current goalkeepers Lewis Price and Shane Supple.
“And it has not got that far yet and we have not got round to talking directly to Richard or his agent, although of course we will be showing interest.
“Richards will no doubt get other offers and will have to decide what his next move will be.”
Ipswich continue training today and then have next week off with Magilton saying that the decision to come in early is working well with no injury problems encountered although Gavin Williams is still receiving treatment from the medical team and not joining in with the rest of the squad.