Charity tennis event proved to be a fantastic success
- Credit: Archant
On Monday of this week Suffolk LTA organised the second Ladies Charity Tennis event this year to raise monies for EACH (East Anglia’s Children Hospices), writes Mike Whatling
The event was held at Ipswich Sports Club and consisted of 24 pairs of ladies.
Coes of Ipswich very kindly provided the prizes for the winning teams and Ipswich Sports Club gave free use of the tennis courts.
The Ladies teams were from ten clubs from within the County.
These events, while their main purpose is to raise funds for an excellent cause, are still competitive with some great matches even with a bespoke scoring system to help with the timing with so matches having to be played.
You may also want to watch:
After the morning session it came down to four pairs of teams to play in the semi-finals and final in the afternoon session.
The event was won by a combined Sproughton/Stowmarket team of Jill Crown and Linda Whipp with the Roundwood Tennis Club team consisting of Zelma Green and Tracy Ward being the runners-up.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
It is anticipated that approx. £700 was raised towards the EACH charity.
Over the Christmas holiday period the Ipswich Sports Club Winter Open Indoor Seniors Tournament will be taking place from Wednesday, December 27 until Saturday, December 30.
The event includes Men’s and Ladies single matches for 35 years plus upto Men’s 65 years plus and Ladies 55 years plus and Men’s and ladies doubles for 40 years plus upto Men’s 70 years plus and ladies 60 years plus. The entry period for LTA Team Tennis competition for 2018 is open.
It is a single-based team competition open for all LTA Registered Venues. It aims to provide players of all ages (8&U – Open) with regular league matches, against similar standard players in a competitive team environment. 2018 entries close on January 31, 2018 for all County divisions.
Applications for Premier 12&U-18&U events will open on 6 December 2017 and close 1 week earlier, on 24 January 2018. National/Regional Open teams can confirm their entry between 6 December 2017 and 31 January 2018.