Chelmsford II 0 Wimbledon II 0

Higgins Group London Men's LeagueDivision OneChelmsford II 0 Wimbledon II 0AFTER last week's game was frozen off, Chelmsford Super Twos (Men's 2nd XI) resumed their league campaign against Wimbledon at Chelmer Park.

Higgins Group London Men's League

Division One

Chelmsford II 0 Wimbledon II 0

AFTER last week's game was frozen off, Chelmsford Super Twos (Men's 2nd XI) resumed their league campaign against Wimbledon at Chelmer Park.

You may also want to watch:

The home side started brightly, shrugging off most of the excesses of the festive period in the first five minutes. Due to injuries picked up both at home and abroad, there were a number of new faces in the team, strengthened by the presence of first team defender David Hunter.

Slick passing moves by the Greens meant most of the opening exchanges occurred in the Wimbledon 25 but clear shots on goal were lacking. The defence spent most of the early period as spectators, and whilst the ball did occasionally come out to them, there was not enough switching across the back, and this did not help Chelmsford's search for an opener.

Most Read

Wimbledon's only real opportunity came just before half time. A crash ball found their centre forward in space, who won a free hit just outside the Chelmsford D. Taken quickly, and before the Green's back four could re-group, the resulting shot from the top went harmlessly wide.

Discussions at half time centred on the need for Chelmsford to return to playing the way they had before Christmas - mainly cutting out the crash balls to the back post. Whilst they continued to play positively, the pace of the game was starting to take its toll. Wimbledon were able to get more into the game, but the defence, marshalled by Andrew Kennedy, were never really under pressure.

Opportunities up front were still limited, despite good running from George Mann and Simon Taylor - who, having nursed himself through to Christmas, was looking to show off a new level of pace up front. It was at this point though that the Super Twos faced their sternest test. Three short corners in a row tested Tim Briggs in goal and Hunter on the line.

In the dying minutes of the match, Chelmsford had their best opportunity, with Mann shooting just wide of the far post, to gasps from the home fans. The game was then marred by the sin binning of Richard Nourse, on his debut for the Super Twos.

Whilst Chelmsford may have felt they should have won, they continue to struggle in front of goal, lacking the clinical finish that would make their position in the league much more comfortable. It was encouraging to see players working for each other after a month long break and a point keeps them in ninth in the league going into next week's away game against East Grinstead, who currently lie in 10th position. The game pushes back at 1.30pm at East Grinstead Hockey Club.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter