Chelmsford II 2 Wapping 2

East Hockey Women’s League

Premier League

CHELMSFORD’S 2-2 draw at home against Wapping was tinged with disappointment after twice surrendering a well fought lead but the second consecutive 2-2 draw in the competitive East Premier gives Chelmsford a lot to build on against their next game, away against Canterbury II.

After a last minute switch to the sand based pitch Chelmsford started strongly and were determined to avenge the 4-0 defeat earlier in the season. A confident first 15 minutes saw the home team create numerous chances and some determined play from forwards Collette Ager and Judith Duffin supported in the midfiels by Kate Taylor and player of the match Lisa Crane led to a series of short corners as Wapping struggled to keep pace with the flowing passing moves and repeated stick tackling broke down promising Chelmsford attacks.

Chelmsford’s failure to convert any short corners allowed Wapping back into the game leading to a few attacks which were dealt with by the disciplined Chelmsford defence of Anna Smith, Philli Went, Izzy Hare and Liz Holmes. Chelmsford took a deserved lead after 25 minutes, a scramble in the Wapping goalmouth led to Karen Cooper finishing from close range.

You may also want to watch:

Wapping started the second half more focused than the home team and levelled after five minutes, after Chelmsford failed to neutralise the away team’s attack from midfield. Chelmsford continued to press and Wapping’s stick tackling was eventually punished with a yellow card. The home team were determined to regain the lead and Kate Taylor, Georgia Herron and Liz Egan worked tirelessly in the midfield supporting the Chelmsford forward line. Ally Farrar’s usual determination up front created more chances for Chelmsford but the final product eluded the home team.

Despite continued infringements and stick tackling by the same yellow carded Wapping player, Chelmsford eventually took the lead with 10 minutes to go when Shen Dedic skillfully lobbed the Wapping ‘keeper putting in the ball in the top left corner after a determined Chelmsford attack.

Most Read

Chelmsford couldn’t hold on to the lead and with five minutes to go Wapping equalised, punishing the home teams lapse in concentration and failure to keep the ball. Chelmsford ‘keeper Van Smith was left exposed and could do nothing to prevent the Wapping forward’s cool finish.

Chelmsford have plenty to work on in the next few weeks, but more encouraging, plenty to build on and the feeling is that once this talented team start to get into the winning habit, there will be no stopping them!

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter