Chelmsford II 4 East Grinstead III 3
Higgins Group London LeagueDivision OneChelmsford II 4East Grinstead III 3CHELMSFORD Men's seconds returned to Chelmer Park this weekend and achieved their first win in Division One of the London league.
Higgins Group London League
Chelmsford II 4
East Grinstead III 3
You may also want to watch:
CHELMSFORD Men's seconds returned to Chelmer Park this weekend and achieved their first win in Division One of the London league. In securing three points, they also extended their unbeaten run to three games.
Playing East Grinstead threes, Chelmsford started positively and the opening 10 minutes showed some of their best hockey of the season. The opening goal came from a good switch from right to left at the back, followed by a good attacking run by Rob Wallbank leaving George Mann with the job of putting the ball away.
- 1 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 7 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Chelmsford's next two goals game as the result of more confident play in and around the EG 'D' leading to mounting pressure. The first came from Chris Wilson, converting a fee hit from just outside the 'D'. The second was from James Beardwell, making it two in two for the youngster, scoring from a deflection off the 'keeper's pads.
After such a solid opening 20 minutes, it was disappointing to not go into half time with a clean sheet intact. However a combined lapse in concentration in defence allowed the visitors to register one of their few penalty corners of the half. Whilst this was defended, a harsh decision saw a second corner and this was duly converted.
East Grinstead came out in the second half looking much more determined, and certainly upped their tempo, though the Super Twos weathered the early storm. Short corners became more frequent for the visitors and they soon scored their second, putting more pressure on the home team. Chelmsford responded well and after another intelligent passage of play were awarded, and scored, a corner of their own - the strike again coming from Wilson, this time on the rebound.
When an individual error at the back for Chelmsford bought about more penalty corners for the visitors, a third goal looked to be on the cards. When this came, it made for a tense final few minutes. However, with the score at 4-3, the Greens looked to play more of the basic hockey that had seen them go ahead early on, and managed to keep possession and play decent hockey until the final whistle.