Chelmsford sign former Southend and Cambridge striker
A STRIKER once dubbed the “new Pele” after netting the goal that secured the League One title for Southend United has signed for promotion-chasing Chelmsford City.
Wayne Gray, who has also played for Yeovil Town and Leyton Orient, has signed for City after being released by Blue Square Bet Premier side Cambridge United this season.
Chelmsford boss Glenn Pennyfather said: “We’re delighted to have secured a striker of Wayne’s quality as he had several options to go elsewhere but chose to join us.
“I’ve known about him from his time with Orient and Southend and he gives me something different up top as well as offering bags of experience which our younger strikers will also be able to benefit from.”
Gray’s arrival has been tempered slightly with the news that star winger Anthony Cook has been ruled out for the rest of the season after the latest scan on his knee injury ruled him out for longer than first thought.
You may also want to watch:
The new signing will be thrown straight into Pennyfather’s squad for tonight’s trip to Dorchester Town.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash