Chelsea visit brings back happy memories of eight years ago
COLCHESTER United Youths play host to champions Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup tomorrow, in a repeat of a third round tie from eight years ago.
But they will do well to emulate their predecessors, who beat Chelsea 2-1 that day (December 14, 2004) thanks to a winner from Jamie Guy.
Just one U’s player, from that youth team of 2004, is still on the Essex club’s books – keeper Mark Cousins.
No. 1 Cousins is set to regain his place in the U’s senior side for their next fixture, at home to Oldham tomorrow week, following the return of loanee John Sullivan to his parent club, Charlton.
Striker Guy and midfielder Robbie King are the only other players, from that youth team of eight years ago, who went on to play in the Football League.
You may also want to watch:
Guy made 52 league appearances for the U’s, although 50 of these were as a substitute, scoring three goals in the Championship. He is currently banging in the goals for Ryman League Division One North leaders Maldon & Tiptree.
Former youth team skipper King, made three appearances as a substitute in the league for the U’s. He is now at Canvey Island.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 6 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 7 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
For Chelsea, midfielder Michael Mancienne is now at Hamburger SV, while Jack Cork plays for Southampton and Dean Furman is at Oldham.
U’s team for FA Youth Cup v Chelsea, 2004: M Cousins, T Devaux, E Cussons, L Bailey, M Paine, D Cross, R Pond, R King, J Guy, R Harris, D Wareham.
Chelsea: J Russell, J Younghusband, A Pettigrew, M Macnienne, E Brand, D Furman, J Simmons, J Cork, P Younghusband, J Smith, J Tillen.
Back to the present and about 500 tickets have already been snapped up for tomorrow’s FA Youth Cup clash, to be staged at the Weston Homes Community Stadium (3pm).
Tickets are priced �7 for adults, �5 concessions, and �3 for under-14s.
Tony Humes’ under-18 squad breezed through the first two rounds, hammering Camberley 13-1 and Faversham 8-1.
Chelsea beat Blackburn 4-1 in the final last season.