‘I thought we were a bit wasteful’ – Colchester United boss John McGreal after stalemate at Chesterfield
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, admitted that he was a bit “disappointed” that his side could not force a win, following today’s 0-0 draw against lowly Chesterfield.
The U’s extended their fine run to just two defeats in their last 16 league matches, following a goalless stalemate at the Proact Stadium, but McGreal felt that they could have taken all three points.
The draw ended a sequence of three straight defeats for struggling Chesterfield, while McGreal’s men remain in the thick of the promotion hunt going into the second half of the campaign, although they have dropped to eighth spot following today’s set of results.
“You saw two teams today, going hammer and tong,” explained McGreal.
“Both teams tried to win the game, and Chesterfield are fighting for their lives.
You may also want to watch:
“There were always going to be mistakes, because we were trying to push on.
“Are we disappointed? Yes, I would say so.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
“I thought we were a bit wasteful in front of goal, and our final ball was often found wanting.
“We missed chances, but if Sammie Szmodics’ early shot had gone in (keeper Jake Eastwood saved it), then I think it would have been a very different game.
“But it’s another clean-sheet, and it keeps our run going,” added McGreal.
The U’s entertain Cambridge United on New Year’s Day.