Chesterfield v Colchester United, nostalgia: 4-0 win for U’s, from 2003
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United reporter Carl Marston recalls the U’s superb 4-0 win at Chesterfield’s old Saltergate ground on a midweek evening on March 18, 2003, which effectively guaranteed their third tier status for another season.
The U’s celebrated their first away victory, under new manager Phil Parkinson, stretching their fine run to just one defeat in 10 matches. It was also their biggest win of the campaign.
Kem Izzet scored one of his rare headed goals, to put the U’s in the driving seat just two minutes before half-time from Joe Keith’s free-kick.
Three minutes into the second half and striker Gareth Williams drilled home the second from close in, following Karl Duguid’s corner.
Home defender Steve Payne diverted home Sam Stockley’s cross for an own goal in the 69th minute, which summed up the Spireites dismal night.
The U’s completed the rout when substitute Dean Morgan, who had only been on the pitch for 20 seconds, rolled home the loose ball after keeper Ben Williams had failed to gather a defensive header by team-mate Steve Blatherwick.
“There were some big hearts out there,” enthused Parkinson, who had only been on the U’s hot-seat for three weeks.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 5 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following MK Dons victory
- 9 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
“I can’t really ask for any more than that. We had to work hard in the first half but we played some good football in the second half.”
U’s squad (at Chesterfield, March 18, 2003): McKinney, Stockley, Jackson, Fitzgerald, White, Duguid, Pinault, Izzet, Keith, McGleish (sub Stockwell, 85), Williams (sub Morgan, 81).