Chris Porter rescues a point for Colchester United
Crawley Town 1 Colchester United 1
Chris Porter rescued a point for Colchester United with a superb late finish, at Crawley Town tonight.
The U’s had suffered a 1-0 defeat at Crawley, in the Checkatrade Trophy last month, and they seemed to be heading for the same result in West Sussex.
However, substitute Porter obliged with a delightful finish, lifting his shot into the roof of the net in the 88th minute to secure a deserved point for the visitors.
Adi Yussuf had nudged the Red Devils ahead in the 19th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Yussuf made the U’s pay for some hesitancy in their back-line to break the deadlock in an otherwise subdued first period.
Poor communication between right-back Richard Brindley and Sam Walker enabled Yussuf to pounce onto James Collins’ lofted pass and steer the ball beyond a stranded Walker, from close-in.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
On loan from League Two rivals Mansfield, Tanzanian 24-year-old Yussuf had scored his first goal for the Red Devils at Morecambe just three days earlier, as well as setting up the other two goals in a 3-2 win.
The U’s improved in the second half, and bombarded the Crawley goal at times, before Porter slammed home a late equaliser.
CRAWLEY: Morris, Young, Connolly, McNerney, Blackman, Smith, Djalo, Yussuf (sub Banton, 63), Clifford (sub Davey, 53), Boldewijn, Collins. Unused subs: Mersin, Arthur, Yorwerth, Bawling, Tajbakhsh.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley (sub Vincent-Young, 63), Prosser, Eastman, Kinsella, Slater, Guthrie, Wright, Szmodics, Fosu (sub Sembie-Ferris, 71), Johnstone (sub Porter, 70). Unused subs: Bransgrove, Wynter, Kamara, James.
Referee: Andy Haines (Tyne & Wear)