Chris Porter went from wedding bells in Scotland to scoring two goals for Colchester United!

Colchester's Chris Porter applauds the fans after his brace against Luton Town. Picture: Steve Walle

Colchester's Chris Porter applauds the fans after his brace against Luton Town. Picture: Steve Waller. - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

Saturday’s match preparation was slightly unusual for Colchester United’s two-goal hero, Chris Porter.

The U’s number nine, who scored a first-half brace, to help Colchester deservedly defeat Luton Town 2-1, at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, was in Scotland less than 24 hours before kick-off!

“On Friday, it was my sister-in-law’s wedding up in Scotland so the manager gave me the day off to go up there,” explained Porter.

“It was a bit of an unusual match preparation for myself, but I prepared the best I could.

“Obviously I didn’t do any drinking, although I would’ve liked to!”

You may also want to watch:

Porter continued: “My partner is Scottish so we were up in Scotland, I flew back on Friday evening so I was only there for half of it unfortunately, but it was great to be there.

“When my partner told me the wedding was on a Friday, I was like ‘what are they doing choosing a Friday?’

Most Read

“I was gutted I had to leave, but obviously playing is the main thing and luckily I did the business on Saturday.”

And Porter certainly did do the business for The U’s, with his goals ultimately the difference between the sides.

His first goal, after just four minutes, was a textbook header, that looped over Luton goalkeeper Matt Macey, before his second goal was a predatory close-range strike from a Richard Brindley cross, in the 31st minute.

“I was really pleased with both goals,” said the striker, who now leads The U’s goalscoring charts with 13 strikes.

“I only saw the first one late, as it (an excellent cross from Brennan Dickenson) went over quite a few bodies, and on the second one, I got across the front of my marker which is what the manager goes mad at if you don’t!”

In fact, Porter could have had a hat-trick, but referee Gavin Ward failed to spot a blatant shirt tug on him from Glen Rea, in the 69th minute, when clean through on goal.

“I think everyone in the stadium knew it was a penalty,” said Porter. “I couldn’t really shoot because he pulled me so much that my body had turned the other way.

“I thought it was a blatant penalty.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter