Christophe Berra says Ipswich Town’s FA Cup replay at Lincoln City will be a ‘different game’
Ipswich Town defender Christophe Berra insists it will be a ‘different game’ when the Blues visit Lincoln City for an FA Cup Third Round replay.
The table-topping National League side, backed by close to 5,000 vocal travelling fans, played with freedom at Portman Road on Saturday.
Town, by contrast, look low on confidence and are fortunate to be in the hat for tonight’s Fourth Round draw (7pm) thanks to Tom Lawrence’s late leveller.
“It was a scrappy game and to them it was a Cup Final,” said Berra.
“They are top of their league and flying high so they came here full of confidence and that’s a huge thing.
You may also want to watch:
“They are a full time outfit so were very fit and we had to match that.
“We did that but they got a couple of goals, which were poor as far as we are concerned.
- 1 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 2 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 4 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 5 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 6 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 7 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 8 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 9 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 10 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
“All credit to them, they deserved the draw and it is all thanks to Tom that we were able to get a draw. That’s football.
“There are always highs and lows in football and at the moment we are suffering more lows.”
He continued: “These kinds of game always create upsets and that could have happened, but we were able to prevent that.
“It is a one-off game and it was difficult. We have not been as consistent as we have been in the past.
“Winning games breeds confidence and we have not won enough games.
“Our fans are not enjoying it and that comes across. Lincoln fans were outstanding and really got behind the team.
“They want to get to the Football League are flying high.
“It will be a different game at their place. They will be expected to do well and expecting a cup shock.”
Berra added: “We will need to play as well as we can and be more consistent. We need to get back to being difficult to score against.
“We have a good team here and we need to show that. We went on a great run of clean sheets earlier in the season, and we need to get back to doing that.
“Recently we have been conceding crappy goals and yet we still have the eighth best defensive record in the league.
“Clearly something is good about us but we are giving away sloppy goals, or sometimes unfortunate goals.
“People will say it is the back four but it is not always the case, although we will take it on the chin.
“There is pressure in every game, especially for defensive players because we don’t want to make a mistake. Attacking players can go out and express themselves so it is different.
“Speaking personally, I want to do well and I will go home and evaluate every game.”