City of Peterborough III 3 IES 1
NE14hockey East Men’s League
IES again headed to Cambridgeshire, this time to Peterborough, in search of a win in the flatlands having been spanked five nil by March Town the week before. With limited players due to injuries and unavailability, IES still took 13 including youngsters Sutton and Page to face a top of the table Peterborough side.
IES actually played the better hockey throughout the game, but struggled to get shots away in both halves. It was the hosts who peppered the IES goal with attempts, finally scoring via a rebound and a Peterborough forward fired past Lane to make it one nil. IES struggled to make an impact up front, but some excellent running from Jones, Klug, Aveling, Sutton and Oakley led to more open play in the first period. Peterborough soon went two up, however, through a well-struck penalty corner to make the score 2-0 at half time
The second half saw Peterborough defend more, with IES forcing the play but still without a shot on goal or a penalty corner to their name. The hosts scored their third through a controversial decision to allow a rising and wide penalty corner shot to stand, and faced several more attempts kept out by the defence.
You may also want to watch:
Finally IES scored a consolation goal through Sutton, who touched in a back post pass having had an identical goal ruled out for a back stick attempt.
IES face Norwich Dragons at Copleston this weekend, and really need a win to stave off a drop into the relegation zone at this early stage.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
IES Squad: Lane, Brown, Coulson, Sutton, Page, Oakley, Jones, Klug, Aveling, Howe, Farrow, Pettit and Pettit.