Clarets bow out of the FA Trophy at the hands of Tranmere Rovers
Chelmsford City 1 Tranmere Rovers 4
Chelmsford City bowed out of the FA Trophy at the hands of National League promotion hopefuls Tranmere Rovers, following defeat in a third round replay at Melbourne Stadium tonight.
The Clarets had done so well to hold Rovers to a 1-1 draw in the original tie at Prenton Park, but the visitors were out of sight by half-time, having built up a 3-0 lead.
A poor back pass by defender Chris Bush enabled Rovers to break the deadlock on the half-hour mark, with Jake Kirby rounding keeper Ross Fitzsimons to slot into an empty net.
Tranmere doubled their lead when a cross by Steve Jennings was headed into his own by Mark Haines for an unfortunate own goal, and Ritchie Sutton made it 3-0 with a looping header from Buxton’s free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
The Clarets got on the score-sheet on 62 minutes, thanks to Elliott Buchanan’s volley, but Kirby ran through to grab his second and Tranmere’s fourth.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 5 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 6 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 7 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 8 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 9 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 10 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed