Clements rescues point for Bury with injury-time header

PUBLISHED: 14:09 13 January 2019 | UPDATED: 14:09 13 January 2019

Kyran Clements grabbed a late leveller for Bury Town against Canvey Island. Picture: ANDY ABBOTT

Kyran Clements grabbed a late leveller for Bury Town against Canvey Island. Picture: ANDY ABBOTT


Bostik North

Bury Town 1

Canvey Island 1

A last-gasp header from defender Kyran Clements, deep into injury time, salvaged a point for Bury against their fellow mid-table opponents from the Thames estuary.

It was the least Ben Chenery’s side deserved on the day, in a game where they recovered from going a goal behind early on to match the visitors in the first period and then have most of the chances after the break, including a Cemal Ramadan penalty which he blazed over the bar.

Although going down 3-2 in their two previous matches, performances were good – though confidence could have been dented when Canvey took the lead on five minutes through Josh Hutchinson, who drove home a low left foot drive from 20 yards which nestled into the corner.

Ollie Hughes replied for Bury by making a great run down the left before crossing to strike partner Ramadan whose goalbound effort was blocked by a defender. Hughes then set up the onrushing Tommy Robinson, who could only slice wide.

Canvey thought they had doubled the lead on 18 minutes but Martin Tuohy’s header was ruled out for a push.

Ollie Hughes was in fine form for Bury. Picture: PAUL VOLLEROllie Hughes was in fine form for Bury. Picture: PAUL VOLLER

Ramadan then rounded Gulls’ keeper Harry Palmer, only for visiting skipper James White to clear his effort off the line.

After a quiet end to the opening 45 minutes the second half began with a bang as Hughes had a header at the back post somehow scrambled clear from near the goal line. Hughes then set up Ramadan again only for the latter to fire wide.

Canvey were dangerous on the break and Bury keeper Luis Tibbles produced a brilliant save when he turned a Sam Collins pilediver over the bar.

Bury continued to push the visitors further back and won a penalty on 76 minutes when Daniel Francis bundled Robinson over after Palmer pushed out another Hughes header. However, Ramadan’s spot kick was high and wide.

It looked like Canvey were going to hold out until Clements rose highest to head home a Jake Chambers-Shaw corner in the fifth minute of injury time and square the game, much to the relief of the majority of the healthy 300-plus crowd.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times