Clinton Morrison hoping to get off to a flyer for the U’s
CLINTON Morrison, who hates flying, was ironically making a late dash for the airport on Monday night, just hours after completing a move to Colchester United.
Experienced striker Morrison had just put pen to paper on a two-year deal, to further bolster the U’s squad ahead of their new season in League One.
The 33-year-old, who originally made a name for himself at Crystal Palace from the late 1990s, put his fears-of-flying behind him to jet out to Holland, to join his new team-mates at their training camp.
“I should have signed a week later, because I hate flying!” joked Morrison.
“My career has been at a standstill at Sheffield Wednesday for the last two seasons, but I’ve not come to Colchester to just sit around for two more years.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m very ambitious and I want to help get Colchester promoted into the Championship.
“There were other clubs interested in me, and I was training with Notts County last week, but the Colchester manager (John Ward) kept ringing me – he has been a big factor in my decision.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 7 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 8 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
“I bided my time a bit this summer, to see how things went, but it was clear that he (Ward) wanted me very much.
“I’m the sort of guy who likes to be loved, and now I want to get some goals for Colchester.
“I suppose I’ve got this reputation of being a sort of bad boy, but I’m a good person and I want to meet my new team-mates as soon as possible, so that they can see the real me.
“That’s why I wanted to get out to Holland as quickly as possible,” said Morrison, who was released by Sheffield Wednesday this summer.
The U’s take on Vitesse Arnhem in a friendly fixture this afternoon.