Seed Growers suffer shock home defeat in a game of two contrasting halves
- Credit: Archant
Coggeshall Town 2 Brentwood Town 3
Coggeshall Town, in complete control in the first half, somehow construed to lose tonight’s Bostik North clash with visiting Brentwood Town, in a remarkable game of two halves at West Street.
It was one of the most one-sided first halves imaginable, the only surprise being that the Seed Growers were only 1-0 up through Nnamdi Nwachuku’s eighth minute opener.
But it was all change after the break, with three unanswered goals from Mitchel Hunter (51), Connor Martin (62) and Ryan Mallett (64) propelling Brentwood to the unlikeliest of away wins.
Nwachuku did reduce the arrears in the 69th minute, but Graeme Smith’s men could not fashion an equaliser during the last quarter of the game.
The third-placed Seed Growers had won their previous seven matches on the bounce, but they were made to pay for a host of missed chances in the first period, and so missed the chance to cut the gap between themselves and second-placed Maldon & Tiptree. The gap remains four points.
Coggeshall had strong appeals for a penalty turned down in the fifth minute, when Tevan Allen appeared to be tripped in the box, but referee Jack Bloxham allowed play to continue.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 3 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 4 East Suffolk Council to form new company to deliver services after Norse contract ends
- 5 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
- 6 13 years behind bars for man who killed a dad out celebrating with family
- 7 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 8 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 9 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 10 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
However, they did break the deadlock three minutes later, Nwachuku deceiving two defenders before steering a shot from the edge of the box into the bottom corner of the net.
Visiting keeper Robert Budd denied the hosts further quickfire goals, saving new signing Mekhi McLeod’s shot in the 15th minute and then blocking Nwachuku’s goal-bound effort on 26 minutes.
Out of the blue, Brentwood equalised when Hunter’s free-kick found the far corner of the net, and Martin then nodded the visitors in front after Danny Sambridge had made an initial save.
A rather fortuitous angled cross-cum-shot by Mallett made it 3-1 on 64 minutes – making it three goals in 13 minutes.
Five minutes later and Nwachuku was fouled in the box. His penalty was blocked by Budd, although he reacted quickly to slot home the rebound, but there was to be no happy ending.
COGGESHALL: Sambridge, Pollard, Haynes-Brown (sub Gyasi, 73), Hubble, Peter, Corlett, McLeod, Gordon (sub Howell, 78), Nwachuku, Wall, Allen.