Colchester 0 Long Sutton 2
NE14Hockey East Men's LeaguePremier BColchester 0 Long Sutton 2COLCHESTER suffered defeat at home to Long Sutton to make relegation to Division One all the more likely.
NE14Hockey East Men's League
Colchester 0 Long Sutton 2
COLCHESTER suffered defeat at home to Long Sutton to make relegation to Division One all the more likely. Only a win in the final game next week away at Pelicans can give Colchester even the merest hint of survival.
You may also want to watch:
Colchester started the game knowing that a win against fellow strugglers Long Sutton would put them in a good position for finishing outside the bottom two and leave Long Sutton still looking over their shoulders.
In what has become the story of their season, Colchester created many chances throughout the game but couldn't take any off them. Matt Brown having some penalty corner efforts and James Logan going close in a one on one with the keeper being the best of the first half.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 8 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
- 9 From favourites to outsiders - odds on Town winning League One drift widely
- 10 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
Colchester had much of the possession in the first half but the visitors looked dangerous on the break, attacking with pace which caused Colchester some problems. Colchester were grateful to Grant Hibbert who made a good save after one such attack. The ball broke quickly to an unmarked man in the 'D' but Hibbert was out well to smother the first time effort.
The second half had a similar theme with Colchester having much of the play but little to show. Long Sutton took the lead early in the second half with a breakaway goal to give Colchester an uphill task to get the much needed points to aid survival. Colchester stuck to their task well and pressed hard in their search for a way back into the match.
With time running out Long Sutton got a second goal to make Colchester's task that bit harder. A Long Sutton Forward having his shot deflected by Michael Pearce past Hibbert.
Colchester were still able to create chances in the dying minutes, Rohan Khaira having an effort saved off the line and Tom Philp unable to get on the rebound, and Pearce flashing a reverse stick effort across the goal.
Hills Residential Man of The Match was Joe Rich for his good work down the Colchester right.