Colchester 2 Braintree 1
Division 1NColchester 2 Braintree 1Colchester battled to a 2-1 win over local rivals Braintree.With both sides starting brightly it took much of the first half for Colchester to break through the Braintree defence and create any meaningful opportunities.
Colchester 2 Braintree 1
Colchester battled to a 2-1 win over local rivals Braintree.
With both sides starting brightly it took much of the first half for Colchester to break through the Braintree defence and create any meaningful opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
At the other end Braintree looked capable of catching Colchester out on the break, but the home side's defence held firm, creating a platform for the midfield to start attacking.
Colchester were awarded several penalty corners in the first half but could only find the Braintree keeper with each resulting strike.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Ipswich Town 0-0 MK Dons: Blues again fail to register shot on target in drab draw
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
The home side were disappointed to go into half time with the scores tied at 0-0.
Colchester stepped up a gear in the second half, but were still finding it difficult to break the deadlock, with too many shots missing the target.
The breakthrough came, somewhat fortuitously, as Sarah Rose picked up a Braintree clearance and hit a shot towards goal that was deflected past the keeper by a Braintree defender.
With the pressure finally eased, Colchester played better hockey and were soon 2-0 up after a fine short corner strike by captain Lucy Struth.
Braintree, who worked hard all afternoon, never gave up and were soon back in the game after a powerful short corner strike from Terri Chiam brought the score back to 2-1.
But with time running out Braintree had left it too late and Colchester held on to a pleasing 2-1 victory over their local rivals.