Colchester 2 Norwich City 3

NE14Hockey East League Premier BColchester 2 Norwich City 3Colchester suffered defeat at home to Norwich City in what was another hard fought game.

NE14Hockey East League

Premier B

Colchester 2 Norwich City 3

Colchester suffered defeat at home to Norwich City in what was another hard fought game.

Colchester took the lead early in the game when a long ball from Michael Pearce found Craig Warriner on the left.

Warriner drove at the heart of the defence before squaring the ball to Rohan Khaira. Khaira didn't need to take a touch as he fired the ball into the bottom corner from the top of the 'D'.

Most Read

Colchester almost had a second when Rob Mann fired just wide after some good work down the left by Pearce.

Norwich City had an equaliser after a foot decision went against Mark Kennedy and gave the visitors the first Penalty Corner of the match.

Pearce did well to get out to the striker however he moved the ball slightly to the right before hitting the ball goalwards, with the injector coming in to deflect the ball home.

Soon after Colchester were indebted to Matt Foakes as he cleared the ball off the line after a City forward had beaten Liam Phillips.

Colchester came back to life and had chances to take the lead before half time. Matt Brown guilty of some poor control when unmarked on the Penalty spot after Khaira had got round the back.

Despite the poor control the ball found its way to Warriner who completely fluffed his first time shot.

Colchester had further efforts from Penalty Corners but were unable to find the back of the net. On the stroke of half time Colchester had a glorious chance to regain the lead.

Brian Barker found himself unmarked in the 'D' but was unable to get his shot off, however the ball fell to Warriner, but Warriner saw his shot ricochet off the post.

Soon after half time Colchester were behind for the first time in the match. Colchester gave away possession just outside their own 'D' with the Norwich Forward dribbling the ball into the 'D' before rounding Phillips and slipping the ball through the Colchester goalkeeper's legs.

Colchester had fewer chances in the second half but equalised midway through the half when Barker deflected a Khaira cross into the back of the net.

Colchester's only other real chance of the second half fell to Warriner but he could only find the keeper with his flicked shot.

Norwich finally won the game when Colchester failed to pick up the Norwich right winger's run. The Norwich forward hit his reverse stick shot first time, however the shot only found the post but rebounded back to the Penalty Spot where there was an unmarked forward to push the ball home.

Hills Residential Man of the Match was Matt Foakes for his Solid defending once again.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter