Colchester 2 Wisbech Town 6

East Men’s League

Premier B Division

COLCHESTER suffered a fourth straight defeat, but can count themselves unlucky by the size of the defeat.

Colchester made a few enforced changes from the side that lost at St Ives and welcomed Lloyd Dennis and Vince Moore back into the team, along with goalkeeper Ross Stannard.

The away side started the game well and Stannard was forced to get down to stop a deflected shot. Wisbech Town continued to push forward, but without finding the target. They did take the lead midway through the half.

You may also want to watch:

Colchester though soon found themselves back on level terms, Wayne Masters picked up the ball on the half way line and looked up to see Lloyd Dennis in the ‘D’, Masters fired in his pass and Dennis was on hand to deflect the ball into the goal.

The game opened up and Wisbech regained the lead, when a ball into the ‘D’ was mis-trapped, but Stannard was fooled, and the forward slipped the ball past the Colchester keeper.

Most Read

Colchester restored parity before half-time. Vince Moore, took a quick free-hit just outside the ‘D’ and drove forward, Moore crossed the ball for Joe Rich, whose first effort was blocked, but Rich regained his composure to flick the ball into the goal.

Colchester came out from half-time full off confidence and had their best spell of the game for the next 15 minutes. Within a minute of the restart, Vince Moore started a quick break which found Bertie Mortimer, Mortimer forwarded the ball down the left to Jack Devitt, Devitt held the ball up before firing in a reverse stick cross, which narrowly evaded the onrushing Moore.

Colchester continued to press forward and Jack Devitt found himself in space in the 25, Devitt drove forward and unleashed a shot, which went narrowly wide and found the side netting. Then Colchester had their best chance to take the lead, Tim Wright won the ball in midfield and set Colchester on the break, Colchester had a three on one, with Devitt passing to Bertie Mortimer, Mortimer took the ball into the ‘D’, but a defender got back to put him off, and Mortimer put his shot wide.

The next 10 minutes were crucial in the game, firstly a Wisbech Midfielder was sin binned for a stick tackle and Colchester were unable to take advantage of the extra man. Whilst still down to ten men, the visiting side broke quickly and forced Mark Kennedy into a stick tackle which earned him a Yellow Card and Wisbech a Penalty Corner, from which they scored. With the Colchester skipper off the pitch the visiting side took full control of the game scoring three more times time make the score 6-2 and kill off the game.

Colchester had a chance to gain a consolation when they were awarded a penalty corner. The ball was played back to Joe Rich who took a touch and pushed the ball goalwards, finding a defender’s foot.

The umpire decided another penalty corner was the decision, however with the ball heading into the goal, Colchester protested that it should have been a Penalty Stroke. Colchester’s protestations were too much, and the decision was reversed.

The home side can take heart that they battled well and will be looking to take some of their chances when they travel to Harpenden next week, Ellisons Solicitors Man of the Match was Lloyd Dennis, for his goal and all-round forward play.

Colchester Round-up

THE second eleven battled to 1-1 draw away at Maldon & Little Baddow, with both goals coming in the final minutes. The third eleven tasted defeat, going down 5-2 away at East London 3rd XI

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus