Colchester 4 Bury St Edmunds 2

NE14Hockey East Men's League

Division One

Colchester 4 Bury St Edmunds 2

COLCHESTER moved to within one point of the league leaders with a good win at home to Bury St Edmunds. Colchester started the game well moving the ball around well and having much of the play.

Colchester took the lead when Richard Bran took a quick free hit on the left and found Rob Mann on the baseline. Mann centered the ball and Rohan Khaira was on hand to deflect the ball between the goalkeepers legs to make the score 1-0.

You may also want to watch:

Bury then got a foothold back in the game when Tim Wright slipped in the 'D' to give a Bury forward a free shot, who fired the ball past Liam Phillips in the Colchester goal.

This only served to spur Colchester on and they were soon back in front. Matt Brown firing home a low drag-flick from a penalty corner. Colchester were now looking rampant and creating chances. They didn't have to wait long before doubling their advantage. A flowing move ripped open the Bury St Edmunds defence and Brown found himself with a run on the visiting keeper. As the keeper advanced Brown slipped the ball across to Rob Mann, who slapped the ball into the empty net.

Most Read

Just minutes before half-time Bury St Edmunds had reduced the deficit to one goal. The ball hit Seb Kolandjian's foot in the 'D' to give the visitors a penalty corner. A straight strike going under the Colchester keeper to make the score 3-2. There was still time before half-time for Colchester skipper Rohan Khaira to receive a sin-bin for a bad tackle.

Starting the second half with 10 men it was Colchester intention to concentrate on defence and not allow Bury St Edmunds any chances to equalise. Colchester did this well and once back to the full complement set to the task of putting the game to bed. However Colchester found that the visiting keeper was on good form.

Colchester almost had a fourth after Brown had shown some good skill to get into the 'D'. The ball fell to Rohan Khaira at the top of the 'D', who unleashed a reverse stick shot that looked destined for the bottom corner, however the Bury Keeper someone managed to get down and get his stick on the ball to deflect it wide.

Colchester were left ruing the opposing keeper once again when a penalty corner effort from Matt Brown seemed to be heading for the bottom corner when the keeper got a touch to send the ball to safety.

Colchester did get a fourth goal to kill off the game from a quick breakaway. Matt Brown received the ball on the halfway line before finding a perfect pass to Brian Barker to leave him one on one with the Bury St Edmunds goalkeeper. As the keeper came rushing out to meet him, Barker slipped the ball between his legs and into the goal.

Mersea Homes Man of the Match was Mark Kennedy for his study defence.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter